Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Trans temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2010, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans temp gauge

What is the point of this? Ok so I know my temp while im driving big deal...is it going to change anything? I can understand the tire temperature is something useful
Old March 15th, 2010, 7:06 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be needed more if you hauled heavy loads like a boat with it.
Old March 15th, 2010, 7:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

trans temp can be very helpful, especially if towing, or driving long distances. this can let you know if the fluid is getting too hot so you can correct the issue before you fry the trans.
Old March 15th, 2010, 7:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's the most awesome factory installed item since 4 wheel drive. Of course I have overheated 3 trans in everyday driving in my 89'.
Old March 16th, 2010, 8:18 AM
CF Addict

Default yea

Tranny temp is VERY useful. Tire PRESSURE (not temp) is useless.

I would have much rather had a law that all tail lights / brake lights must be LED.

It would have been cheaper and saved more lives that this stupid TPMS crap.

I am sick of following cars w/broken or out tail lights. LED would solve this.
Old March 16th, 2010, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

I like the temp gauge too. I haven't had the chance to drive my tahoe in warm weather so I don't know the normal warm weather temp of the transmission. I do tow a camper and looking to get an aux cooler. What temp should I be concerned with the trans temp? How do you lower the temp when it gets too hot without actually stopping? I tested the tow the other day with my camper and my newly installed brake controller and realized that even in tow mode it slipped into over drive. Is this normal? I am actually only pulling a 3600 lb trailer not a heavy one.
Old March 16th, 2010, 9:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, going into overdrive in tow is normal. my 06, if you push and hold the same button as tow, it will disable overdrive. shows up on my dash as overdrive symbol with a line thru it. trans temp depends alot on ambient temp, load on trans. typically, my duramax hauling 4k averages 150 or so, with just stock cooler. but i don't tow hard. i use the tow/haul and overdrive off on hills and such. as far as lowering temp without stopping, ya kinda don't. it's like a radiator overheating. you'd stop for that.
Old March 17th, 2010, 1:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck averages close to 150 in just everyday driving...
Old March 17th, 2010, 8:37 AM
CF Addict

Default over

technically 5th and 6th gear are both over drive... does it keep it in 4th and lower?

If your in tow, it does it's job... it's a transmission not a penguin, it shifts, it knows what gear it needs
Old March 17th, 2010, 7:13 PM
CF Junior Member

If towing heavy expect to see 100 degrees over ambient temp. If you see 250 degrees for a short duration its not fatal, more than a spike at that temp and you are killing the tranny fluid. In my experience towing, if I am out of OD and the converter isn't locked , you will see higher tranny temps. This is because of the "slippage" that occurs as a natural function of the torque converter being a fluid drive device. OD for towing isn't a bad thing, if the engine has enough tq topull the load at the lower rpm let it. If the tranny is hunting for gears every few seconds then use the tow haul mode which rasies the shift points and will reduce the amount of shifting.
When towing I trade my cluster for one with a temp guage. Its interesting and a good monitor of tranny health.

Quick Reply: Trans temp gauge