Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Truck jerks on takeoff and vibrates at highspeed

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2013, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck jerks on takeoff and vibrates at highspeed

I've seen a few forums on this issue, but none of the solutions have fixed my problem.

If I'm sitting at a red light and accelerate normally, it feels like someone has bumped into the back of my truck. I feel it right when the truck starts to move. It also jerks the exact same way the moment the truck comes to a complete stop. The last instance I'm feeling the jerk/bump is when I'm cruising down the interstate at constant speed and then let off the gas slightly. I feel it right when I let off the gas. There's no noises associated with any of the jerking. The other symptom I've got is at about 65mph the truck starts to vibrate like a tire is out of balance, the faster I go, the worse the vibration gets. Around 80, the dash is vibrating horribly, the whole truck feels like it's about to come apart.

Bought the truck a few months ago with 168000 miles on it, haven't hardly driven because of this problem. It's a 1996 Tahoe, 5.7 4wd 2door.

Stuff I've done, but didn't fix the problem:
1. I've had the wheels/tires balanced twice, they were in good balance both times.
2. I've had the rear diff rebuilt.
3. New U-joints installed.
4. Both motor mounts and transmission mount replaced.
5. All new brakes
6. Front diff drivers side output shaft seal replaced.
7. Slip Yoke coming out of transfer case has been inspected and greased, it's in good condition.

Far as I can tell, I'm basically down to replacing the transfer case and/or transmission. Any suggestions? Transmission shifts smooth.

Thanks for any help!
Old September 2nd, 2013, 5:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the vibration thing sounds like a misfire. i had an expedition which was notorious for bad coils. when it would miss it would feel like the whole thing was sitting in a earthquake. the more i stepped on it the worse it got. i could be wrong since you havent mention a CEL. but thats what it sounds like. the other issue idk what that could be.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check your transmission. Sounds like the torque converter