Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Unusual ABS Problem after EBCM replaced

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2016, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual ABS Problem after EBCM replaced

Ok, so let me start in advance by thanking any and all contributors to this forum. I really appreciate searching this and many others forums for various reasons.

My issue is, this my 2003 Chevy Suburban 1500 had a typical brake light and ABS light with "Service Brake System" message. Ive checked the fuse, checked under the fuse panel and found no chewed wires, which i have found on several of my other GM's. Removed, cleaned and replaced 3 ground connections and 2 bolts and reinstalled them. Front brakes are in great condition and rears are brand new. I looked all over online and found everyone says "replace EBCM" so I sent my unit out to be looked over and it was repaired and sent back to me. Reinstalled the unit and now the lights won't come on when i start the truck but after i get over 5ish mph the lights come back on. After scanning with Snap On Solus i get:

C0245
C0246
C0241
C0242
C0251
C0268

Im absolutely lost for what my next step is, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Frank.
Old March 29th, 2016, 7:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

did you send out the entire ebcm or just the module itself or the mechanical pump portion?

are the codes the original dtc that were set in the ebcm or is this something new after re-installation?

I would clear all dtc. test drive and see what returns. diagnosis will start with the active codes.

Last edited by tech2; March 29th, 2016 at 7:07 PM.
Old March 29th, 2016, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
did you send out the entire ebcm or just the module itself or the mechanical pump portion?

are the codes the original dtc that were set in the ebcm or is this something new after re-installation?

I would clear all dtc. test drive and see what returns. diagnosis will start with the active codes.
I only sent out the module, not the pump and valve body.

Before I had it rebuilt I had the exact same codes in addition to C0265, which is, from what I understand, the telltale sign of a bad module. I cleared the codes, and literally just backed the truck up 30 feet and the above codes all came back and all the lights lit up again. I shut it off and when I turned the key to run to scan it, the codes were in the history code section, not the current codes section of the scan menu, and no service brake system message. If it helps when I used to clear the codes before with key on run, the light would go out and come on immediately.
Thank you for the quick response by the way.
Old March 30th, 2016, 8:06 AM
Super Moderator

do you have the jl4 rpo code....check the build sheet in the glove box. jl4 iirc, Is stability control. diagnostics differ for that option.

briefly looking at the dtc that have set....they sure seem to point to a bad ebcm. if you can find a cheap complete unit, module and bpmv, might be easier to just swap it out. You will need your scan tool to autobleed the system.

If the unit is expensive, we can go through the diagnostics.

Last edited by tech2; March 30th, 2016 at 8:20 AM.
Old March 30th, 2016, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

No RPO codes like that on the sticker, it looks like a standard ABS setup like off my 2001 Duramax, or my 2007 Duramax, only has the 6 valves/plungers sticking up where i have seen the active ones "usually" have more.

I have also tried putting another known working Kelsey Hayes 325 on the modulator valve from my 01 Duramax, and had similar codes set. Although "circuit board medics" said that it was "programmed" differently for that truck, and it wouldn't work, which i still have trouble believing.

Last edited by frankiehustler; March 30th, 2016 at 8:20 AM.
Old March 30th, 2016, 7:54 PM
Super Moderator

the programming will be different. the problem may be the bpmv. if you game we can run through the diagnostics.
Old March 30th, 2016, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the programming will be different. the problem may be the bpmv. if you game we can run through the diagnostics.

Sure i'm game, i have a good DVOM and the Solus. I also have a known functional BPMV from the 2001 2500HD that is just sitting on the bench, that looks like it has no electronics from what i can see besides the motor. Not sure if it matters but i also have attemped the "automated bleed" test with the Solus and the pedal goes to the floor and then light comes on again after i've already cleared the codes.
Old March 31st, 2016, 9:58 PM
Super Moderator

I read thru the diagnostic work sheets and check confirmed fixes on a technician website. the diagnostic is basically this....clear codes, test drive...if code returnes replace ebcm.

if grd g110 is good and terminal pin fit is good. replace the ebcm and bpmv as a unit. don't use the one from your other vehicle unless it has the same gm part number. the module may need to be programed for the vehicle. then enter the correct tire construction and size into the ebcm for correct speedo operation....your scan tool should do this.

every, and I mean every confirmed fix is a ebcm or bpmv.