Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Upgrading fuel system on 2001 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2017, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading fuel system on 2001 Suburban

Hey gents,
I am finding it difficult to find upgrade capabiltiies for the fuel pump to be upgraded. I've replaced this pump twice now, one cheap assembly off ebay, another AC Delco unit which also seems to be providing inconsistent pressure. I've replaced my regulator twice as well.

Aside from doing something like a custom cell/Aeromotive pump solution, can the pump in the sump be upgraded easily enough?

On a side note, seems the Gen4 engines require more pressure, would their fuel solution bolt right in place in my Gen3? Thanks for any input.
Old September 1st, 2017, 1:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

-are you replacing the fuel filter when the pump is changed?
-have you spliced in the upgraded fuel pump connector kit?

how long did each pump last?
how did you determine the pressure is inconsistent? What symptoms are you having?
Old September 7th, 2017, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To reiterate I found a leak in the hose halfway up the cab just behind the bellhousing location on the chassis. And have since repaired it. This resolved the pressure loss I was experiencing, which was sporadic.

The first (Cheap pump($60) lasted about 3 months through the winter.) This pump literally died. The reaplcement ACDelco ($280) has been installed for roughly ~6 months.

These pumps are complete units so I did not do any splicing to change the pump. Its an assembly including the fuel level sensor, housing, connections pre-terminated etc.
I assumed fuel pressure due to loss of power higher in the RPM range, especially in the heat of summer. This turned out to be a damaged line, which I was able to replace with a Junkyard unit with new seals. Pressure is now steady.

Symptoms are loss of power above ~1500RPM as the heat presses on in the mid-day. No knocking that I can hear, nor any codes to that effect.
Is this typical operation for this 5.3?
Old September 8th, 2017, 7:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

there were problems with the wiring connector pins making intermittent contact; this was leading to premature failure of pump motors...aftermarket has a splice in kit