Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

US Hwy 70S missing from 2016 Tahoe nav system

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2016, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US Hwy 70S missing from 2016 Tahoe nav system

While driving our one week old 2016 Tahoe yesterday, we were perplexed to note that US Hwy 70S between McMinnville, TN and Woodbury, TN was missing from our nav system. The display showed us as if we were driving through blank space. Intersecting roads and streets were shown, but not the highway we were on. It is a 4-lane, divided highway, with a 65 mph speed limit. It is a relatively new highway, but certainly at least 5 years old. Our dealer was clueless, and Chevy customer service knew of no way to update anything, as we have the latest software already.

Anybody else notice missing highways from their nav system? Anybody know of a solution? This is not a very big issue, as I always use my smartphone/Googlemaps for nav anyhow. But it is disappoinging that such an expensive vehicle has such a crappy nav system.
Old August 18th, 2016, 8:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran into the same thing when my 07 Tahoe was about 2 years old. If things are still the same way, there should be update discs that you can purchase, if they are available, BUT they may not update the specific issue you are seeing. And the discs are usually pretty expensive. I think I bought one off ebay for my 07 years ago, and it messed up my GM Lockpick (a device to allow the front nav screen to show DVD video while "driving"). I never since bought another update disc, just wasn't worth the money since the updates are not that robust, IMO.
Old August 18th, 2016, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today's smartphones offer a far superior navigation system to any I've seen offered in automobiles. Plus, they don't become obsolete, and updates are (so far) free. I use Google Maps on my smartphone, even on off-road trips on my dirt bike. I download maps ahead of time, and can thereby use the GPS even if I lose cell service. IMHO, car companies like GM would never be able to sell a GPS/Nav system if it wasnt forced on the buyer as a part of a package. Ditto Sirius/XM, now that Pandora et al are readily available for free, or nearly so.

I really like my Tahoe...just wish I could have bought it without all the expensive add ons that add little to nothing of value. Guess I could have special-ordered it, but then would likely have lost out on the 12% year-end promo discount.