Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Used 2001 suburban 2500 6.0

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2022, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 2001 suburban 2500 6.0

Hey guys I’m new to the forums. I wanted to say I just bought a used 2001 suburban 2500 6.0l for 127k miles original price was listed on the attached picture. However, I negotiated down to $5,200. Im loving the truck right now. Despite some rust and a bit of minor holes on the frame on the under carriage. Although there are some minor issues like no horn, service engine soon, and an exhaust leak which I will all fix at the Chevy dealer this week.
Old March 15th, 2022, 9:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Welcome to Chevy!
If it was me I would find a trusted mechanic and steer away from the stealer.
Old March 15th, 2022, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Welcome to Chevy!
True!. However, I never been to a private mechanic here in New Jersey. I’m so used to going to the dealers all my life regardless of car brand lol. Because if they mess up it is covered under their warranty.
Old March 17th, 2022, 9:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
I was going to post the same. Find an independent ASE certified mechanic. Ask your friends, co-workers if they have a shop they trust. All are expensive, dealerships more so.

An independent shop will recognize you as a returning customer, provide priority service, etc. And will back up their parts and repairs. Even though I do over 90% of my own work, I do use such local ASE shop. Because my friends and co-workers know my abilities, they figure that this shop is good, and have used him as well. So I've brought in customers for him.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (March 17th, 2022)
Old March 17th, 2022, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cusser
I was going to post the same. Find an independent ASE certified mechanic. Ask your friends, co-workers if they have a shop they trust. All are expensive, dealerships more so.

An independent shop will recognize you as a returning customer, provide priority service, etc. And will back up their parts and repairs. Even though I do over 90% of my own work, I do use such local ASE shop. Because my friends and co-workers know my abilities, they figure that this shop is good, and have used him as well. So I've brought in customers for him.
True. I agree. I took it to the Chevy dealer and I paid about $4,000 to fix all the preexisting things.

when I took it they told me there was a misfire, an exhaust leak in the pipes , e-brake needed replacing, horn replaced, and o2 sensors. But everything else is pretty Much great. For a 01 127k $5,000 flat truck. I will try to find a good mechanic around here in north Jersey.
Old March 18th, 2022, 7:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

I'll trust the dealer more than an independent any day of the week. 46 yrs of technician experience BTW and have been on both sides of the fence.
95% of indies are hacks and zero recourse when they screw up. Most are just pump and belt guys. Belt broken, replace, pump leaking, replace.
Dealer is a franchise and at least complaints to GM are heard by someone else holding a stick over the dealer's head.
Indies do not have national tech. center and database backup on the weird issues like competent dealers do. They will punt and tell you to take that weird electrical issue to a dealer, happens all the time.
Plus, when you only work on one brand day in/out you see the common issues along with the odd ones and know how to deal with it not to mention how to take things apart without destroying things.
Yeah, Indie can do a brake job cheaper than the dealer as most times its brand X parts going in.

Last edited by repairman54; March 18th, 2022 at 7:58 AM.
Old March 18th, 2022, 9:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Let's just say that my ONE experience with GM dealer service resulted in a "we have absolutely no idea what is wrong" after 4 visits for that malfunction. Finally they refunded the money, because I had expressed in advance that I'd pay for a repair, but not for guesses, and they agreed.