Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Used Surburban Issues?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2017, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Surburban Issues?

My family is young and growing and our VW Touareg is no longer going to cut it before too long and we have settled on a Suburban. Before I pull the trigger, what are some common issues I should be aware of? Looking at 2009+ and I've read about AMF failures briefly on this forum but that's about it. How widespread are AMF failures or is this just 1-2% of owners crying loudly like the VW diesel fuel pump problems. We do a lot of driving and plan on driving this vehicle to over 500k miles if it will let me.
Old May 6th, 2017, 1:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally, I would try to avoid an AFM engine if at all possible. Note my two trucks do not have AFM.

You can get a Yukon XL Denali or Escalade ESV with the 6.2 motor and no AFM, or, if you can find one, a unicorn like my 3/4-ton Burb has the 6.0 and no AFM.

Lots of people have AFM motors, and the worst issue is the engine uses oil. If I was a fleet buyer buying 100 Suburbans, I'd buy AFM half-tons, knowing that 10% will have big problems, and the other 90% will have minor or no problems. But would I spend $20-$25k of my own money knowing that I have a 10% chance of buying a lemon? Heck no.

When I was looking at used Burbs a few years ago, I found a really nice Avalanche with 100k miles, but the motor had just been replaced with a crate motor. Now THAT, I might've bought if it was a Burb. Because then I could disable the AFM while the engine was still new.