Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Vibration at 4000 RPM (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/vibration-4000-rpm-47609/)

mikeatl January 5th, 2012 7:07 PM

Vibration at 4000 RPM

Hello All,
I have noticed that when I put the hammer down, such as in a passing sitution I get a pretty good vibration in the 4000 RPM plus range. It is very prominent in the gas pedal and steering wheel. And this is making it difficult for me to zero in on it.

One thought was that it might be an out of balance driveshaft. But I would find that hard to believe.

This is an 2008 Suburban LTZ, 5.3L

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Chevrolet Customer Service January 5th, 2012 9:09 PM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mikeatl,

You may need an alignment. Tires are another possibility. These are simply suggestions, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. A certified technician will be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis and solution.

Please keep us posted.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

mikeatl January 5th, 2012 9:40 PM

Louis<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>Thanks for the reply. This vehicle was just purchased a few weeks ago from a GM dealer. Does anyone know if I have grounds for this to be looked at on their dime?<o:p></o:p>
I know that when I test drove the vehicle it would not return to the straight position coming out of a turn. They did something to somewhat fix it. As in, it's better than it was.<o:p></o:p>

molshove January 5th, 2012 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by mikeatl (Post 202180)
Louisffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Thanks for the reply. This vehicle was just purchased a few weeks ago from a GM dealer. Does anyone know if I have grounds for this to be looked at on their dime?<O:p></O:p>
I know that when I test drove the vehicle it would not return to the straight position coming out of a turn. They did something to somewhat fix it. As in, it's better than it was.<O:p></O:p>

Hey Mike

MY name is Mike as well. I am a Buick GMC dealer in Columbus, Ohio. As far as inspection and remedy on the dealer's dime - that will most likely be at their disgression, unless you signed some kind of aggreement pertaining to non drivetrain coverage before purchasing.

It can't hurt to reach out and ask the question - just remember the age-old saying, "You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar." If it is something as simple as allignment or tire balance, most reputable GM dealers will be happy to help, or at the very least, advise.

Best of luck:)

slw210 January 6th, 2012 12:08 PM

Do you get vibration in Park while reving the motor? Is it only when passing at 4000 RPM?

Depending on your state the dealer may be responsible for repairing this. You could always check and see if the previous owner ever took it in for the same problem.

As stated above, most dealers should be willing to take care of this. Shouldn't hurt to let them give it a look over and check on any previous warranty work.

in2pro January 6th, 2012 2:55 PM

Could have your vehicle put on a dyno and that would eliminate any alignment issues....
but that is probably a bit extreme... I would start with wheel and tire balancing then alignment...then drive shaft...
Just because its new doesn't mean everything is perfect.. especially tire balancing...a weight could have come off in transport...

molshove January 6th, 2012 2:59 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 202268)
Could have your vehicle put on a dyno and that would eliminate any alignment issues....
but that is probably a bit extreme... I would start with wheel and tire balancing then alignment...then drive shaft...
Just because its new doesn't mean everything is perfect.. especially tire balancing...a weight could have come off in transport...

It's not new, it is an '08 ;)

in2pro January 6th, 2012 4:11 PM

My bad somewhere I got 2011 in my head:o but the process of elimination is still pretty sound...

mikeatl January 6th, 2012 4:16 PM

Thanks for all the input. I will do my due diligence and let you know what I find.