Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Vibration at 4000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2012, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at 4000 RPM

Hello All,
I have noticed that when I put the hammer down, such as in a passing sitution I get a pretty good vibration in the 4000 RPM plus range. It is very prominent in the gas pedal and steering wheel. And this is making it difficult for me to zero in on it.

One thought was that it might be an out of balance driveshaft. But I would find that hard to believe.

This is an 2008 Suburban LTZ, 5.3L

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old January 5th, 2012, 9:09 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mikeatl,

You may need an alignment. Tires are another possibility. These are simply suggestions, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. A certified technician will be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis and solution.

Please keep us posted.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 5th, 2012, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Louis<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>Thanks for the reply. This vehicle was just purchased a few weeks ago from a GM dealer. Does anyone know if I have grounds for this to be looked at on their dime?<o></o>
I know that when I test drove the vehicle it would not return to the straight position coming out of a turn. They did something to somewhat fix it. As in, it's better than it was.<o></o>
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mikeatl
Louisfficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>Thanks for the reply. This vehicle was just purchased a few weeks ago from a GM dealer. Does anyone know if I have grounds for this to be looked at on their dime?<O></O>
I know that when I test drove the vehicle it would not return to the straight position coming out of a turn. They did something to somewhat fix it. As in, it's better than it was.<O></O>
Hey Mike

MY name is Mike as well. I am a Buick GMC dealer in Columbus, Ohio. As far as inspection and remedy on the dealer's dime - that will most likely be at their disgression, unless you signed some kind of aggreement pertaining to non drivetrain coverage before purchasing.

It can't hurt to reach out and ask the question - just remember the age-old saying, "You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar." If it is something as simple as allignment or tire balance, most reputable GM dealers will be happy to help, or at the very least, advise.

Best of luck
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:08 PM
CF Active Member

Do you get vibration in Park while reving the motor? Is it only when passing at 4000 RPM?

Depending on your state the dealer may be responsible for repairing this. You could always check and see if the previous owner ever took it in for the same problem.

As stated above, most dealers should be willing to take care of this. Shouldn't hurt to let them give it a look over and check on any previous warranty work.
Old January 6th, 2012, 2:55 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Could have your vehicle put on a dyno and that would eliminate any alignment issues....
but that is probably a bit extreme... I would start with wheel and tire balancing then alignment...then drive shaft...
Just because its new doesn't mean everything is perfect.. especially tire balancing...a weight could have come off in transport...
Old January 6th, 2012, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Could have your vehicle put on a dyno and that would eliminate any alignment issues....
but that is probably a bit extreme... I would start with wheel and tire balancing then alignment...then drive shaft...
Just because its new doesn't mean everything is perfect.. especially tire balancing...a weight could have come off in transport...
It's not new, it is an '08
Old January 6th, 2012, 4:11 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

My bad somewhere I got 2011 in my head but the process of elimination is still pretty sound...
Old January 6th, 2012, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the input. I will do my due diligence and let you know what I find.