Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Voltage drops when braking hard?

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2023, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage drops when braking hard?

Hello everyone,

I have this new problem I can't figure out: whenever I brake hard, the voltage drops (the instrument panel shuts off, lights turn off, doors unlock -- the engine keeps running). Once the voltage comes back up, everything comes back to normal. It's kind of a stinker since it's very useful to have lights on when you're trying to brake hard! If I break only lightly, everything is ok.

Maybe a different issue: a while ago, when I was driving and it was raining hard, the car shut down completely (loss of power)

Any idea how I would go about diagnosing the exact problem and fixing it?

A few weeks before having these issues, I brought my truck to the dealer to fix similar electric issues. They charged me ~500$ but didn't fix anything (they told me I needed to change my driver side door switch and my alternator; However, they are not a big problem IMHO).

I've also noticed there was water leaking under the carpet on the driver side. The water seems to have been coming from the satelite antenna (fixed now -- I believe)
There was also water coming in the trunk: I had tried to install a backup camera but never had a chance to connect it to the lights. The rubber covering the wires between the body of the truck and the door was not installed properly.

-Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, 2013
-4x4
-5.3L, Sunroof.
Installed towing kit.

Last edited by adrian.agapie; August 22nd, 2023 at 9:08 PM.