Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Vortec 7400 running issue - need advice

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2008, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec 7400 running issue - need advice

I'mnew to the forum and looking forward to getting educated. I have a 1999 Suburban 2500 with the Vortec 7400 (actually it's my brother's truck but I am in charge of our small "fleet" of vehicles - as we are both car crazy but I am more mechanically inclined) anyway, I don't know anything about this vehicle so am looking for info. Currently we have acouple ofissues that I want to address.
1) Something is draining the battery within only a few days of sitting. When the batt is low and you use the remote to unlock the doors it seems the locks do not open all the way and you hear a continual "click, click, click" once you open the door.
2) Mostly when engine is cold, upon acceleration, she hesitates badly. Not a jumpy hesitation just a bog-down type.
Am thinking of changing plugs, wires, air filter to see it that helps. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Tom
Old January 5th, 2009, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vortec 7400 running issue - need advice

Tom,
I have the same Suburban '99 2500 with 7.4L engine and had a few battery issues over the years. At one time the dome light was on continuously due to the dimmer switch failing.Replacing the dimmer switch solved this but be sure to check the override switch also. There is an override button next to the dimmer - ensure that you are not leaving the dome lights on. This is easy to overlook because you get used to the auto turnoff feature of the dome lights. A seperate battery issue was the positive battery cable would loosen were it bolts into the battery. I found that if Iloosened the positive terminal and rotated it back and forth about an inch and then re-tightend it the car would start no problem. I now leave a 3/8 wrench in the console and taught my wife how to do this.

Good Luck - Scoop