Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wacky steering

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2016, 1:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wacky steering

Thought I'd share something I learned. The steering on my 1997 has been acting up on curves over 45 mph. Feels firm and all of a sudden it acts like I jerked the steering wheel an eighth of a turn more or got blind sided by a big gust of wind trying to make me change lanes. Lots of fun at highway speeds. It has always been different to drive since I bought it used in 2000. In parking lots when turning tight the last half turn its pulling hard to full lock on it's own. I've just learned there is a wheel speed sensor under the dash on the steering column the tells the valve on the pump how much pressure and volume to let threw. About 15 minutes to remove, $51 at ORiellys lifetime warranty. I was thinking it was a warn steering box and that's close to $300. I'll follow up after this weekends trip. Ps this sensor is on 1997-1999s maybe more and has a life of 50,000 miles.

Last edited by BW56; June 8th, 2016 at 1:33 PM.
Old June 8th, 2016, 4:31 PM
CF Active Member

Quick up date. Took 15 minutes to install. Worst part was my old back. Backed it out onto the street turning sharp and it didn't go to lock on its own, down around a curve with no extra moves during the turn. I'm happy so far. I'll still report after this weekends road trip.
Old June 11th, 2016, 3:35 PM
CF Active Member

Up the mountain curves and she's a dream to drive again. No fear it was going to change lanes at will on the corners. Great cheap fix.