Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Want More Low End Power for 95 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2013, 4:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want More Low End Power for 95 Suburban

Hi Guys,

I will be buying a 1995 K1500 LS this week. It has 190K miles on it, but they are all highway miles (Seriously - it was owned by a Church and they went on Missions Trips). It has been very well maintained by my friends' shop in town.

One of the main reasons I'm buying it is that I need a 4WD to do some towing/hauling in the Winter up here. So, any upgrades I do to will be mainly focused on improving torque.

I've been doing some research, and have found some good ideas, such as Headers, and higher performance, better flowing TBI's that can be installed.
The main question I have is that if do these upgrades, will that "whack out" the Computer?

The mechanic in town (experienced Chevy Guy) keeps warning me that I'll ruin the vehicle if I do anything to it that is not Stock. I've also read where if you do some of these performance upgrades, you need to then "tune" it (Which I understand to mean it needs to have a new Chip installed).

I'm not looking to do anything too radical. But, I want to have the most power that I can out of this puppy without causing problems. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm used to messin' with old school vehicles, and much of this is new to me.

Thanks,
Bob
Old December 25th, 2013, 1:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, the mechanic is right. There are very little gains to be had without getting into big bucks in parts and programing, not worth doing in an 19 year old truck.
Old December 25th, 2013, 2:10 PM
Super Moderator

I too would say that your Mechanic was right (in a way). The Stock setup would probably provide you with the best Low End Tork. I think I'd forget about the Headers, those always emphasize higher RPM's, so, the stock exhaust is designed to be strong because of it's lower flow.

You might check into alternate Camshafts, take a look at those used on larger Trucks which have the same engine as you're using. Customarily long duration and lower lift gets more low end, though I'm not sure you can access that info on what Cam's are available. Also, you might call up one of the Cam Manufacturers, and discuss what you want. They might have or grind you an aftermarket unit which will fit the bill.

Lots of guys here fix up older vehicles, I'd call that "Projects". One of our goals here is to support and advise you about the best way to get what you want to do done, and sometimes you have to throw a few bucks in for that. Good luck with your Project !

Last edited by SWHouston; December 25th, 2013 at 2:31 PM.
Old December 25th, 2013, 8:16 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Sometimes cams with good low end torque are referred to as RV cams.
Old December 26th, 2013, 5:55 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the insight, guys. I've had a few other people say that you need to swap the cam to get any real power. And, yes, I'm familiar with what an RV Cam is.

I'm somewhat bummed about this. This mechanic said that if headers were installed, it would completely whack out the computer. Keep in mind, we're talking about headers designed specifically for this vehicle & engine. Ones that will still have the Oxygen sensors & Catalytic converter. And that will whack out the Computer? Don't tell me.....let me guess.....not enough "back pressure". Well, does the computer monitor back pressure? People can make the argument (which I don't buy) all day long that these engines need a certain amount of back pressure, and especially for the low end. We can have that discussion......no problem. But, to say that a more free flowing exhaust is going to whack out the Computer??? The only monitoring devices in the exhaust are the O2 sensors, yes? Will a more free flowing exhaust change the actual make up of the exhaust gases?

I didn't wanna say this, as it's a Chevy site, but I have a 1971 Ford Pick Up with a "warm" 390 in it. Myself, and the mechanic who helped me went through this whole process of selecting a Cam, Headers, Heads, Intake, Carb, etc., etc. It was based on low end power, as well. It has 325 H.P. and 450 Torque......and we didn't really go ballistic on it.

I know everyone is in love with the GM 350 V8. But, from what I've read this Suburban has 200 H.P. and 310 Torque, and is supposed to be a "towing/hauling machine". I have no problem with the idea that it may need a better (Torque/RV) Cam, etc. In fact I'm looking forward to messin' with it a bit.

But, if I do a few basic upgrades, I'll screw up the Computer? Aren't there other chips that can be installed when these performance upgrades are done? Isn't there a way to "tune" this puppy once it has a new Cam, Intake/TBI, Exhaust, etc.? Aren't there any GM guys out there who have done this on this era vehicle? Or.....am I stuck with 200 H.P. and 310 Torque to haul hay wagons with?

Here's one of the Cams that I'm considering: 08-464-8 - XTREME Fuel Injection (XFI

I'm totally new to these more modern vehicles (with Computers) and haven't messed with Chevy 350's at all. So, I'm here to learn. This Suburban I'm getting is gorgeous! I just want a little more pep out of it.

Thanks,
Bob
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

I may be of no help, and I don’t know what all you’re planning on pulling, but I bought a ’97 K1500 Suburban last year, and I’ve towed some pretty-heavy loads, the heaviest of which was my 6.5’x10’utility trailer pretty full of heavy pine-tree logs, and it pulled it like there was nothing there.

What I’m saying is, maybe based on the numbers, you’re underestimating what the truck will do and trying to solve a problem that won’t be a problem.

I’d try pulling something while still stock before investing in modifications.

Best of luck.

Old December 26th, 2013, 2:18 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Check out Black Bear Performance. He can tune based on what modifications you've made.

I'll bet the '71 Ford was carbureted which is a completely different animal than today's machines.

Good luck.
Old December 26th, 2013, 2:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Corkwheats
Here's one of the Cams that I'm considering: 08-464-8 - XTREME Fuel Injection (XFI

Do you know what the specs are on the stock cam? I don't either, but I suspect there is not much difference at all. That complete cam kit will run you $881 plus shipping. Add a couple more mods and you will have a 95 suburban that might make 20 more lbs. ft. of torque. Why don't you tow with the 71 Ford, its sounds better suited for it.........
Old December 26th, 2013, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Marko5657

I may be of no help, and I don’t know what all you’re planning on pulling, but I bought a ’97 K1500 Suburban last year, and I’ve towed some pretty-heavy loads, the heaviest of which was my 6.5’x10’utility trailer pretty full of heavy pine-tree logs, and it pulled it like there was nothing there.

What I’m saying is, maybe based on the numbers, you’re underestimating what the truck will do and trying to solve a problem that won’t be a problem.

I’d try pulling something while still stock before investing in modifications.

Best of luck.

Thanks,
In fact, this is actually the plan (Use it Stock First). It will probably do fine.
The only thing I will be doing to it right away is a basic tune up, muffler/exhaust pipe/2 Tires.

The Suburban is really sharp. It's basically a Luxury Vehicle. I don't really want to make it a race car. Maybe I am focusing too much on the numbers, as far as what to expect when towing.

I'll let you guys know how she does. And, I'd like to post some pictures of it - very nice!
I'm getting it for a steal, too!

Bob
Old December 26th, 2013, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Check out Black Bear Performance. He can tune based on what modifications you've made.

I'll bet the '71 Ford was carbureted which is a completely different animal than today's machines.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out.
Yes, my old Ford Pick Up is 100% Old School (things I understand!).
This is why I'm enduring a "learning curve" on these newer (Computer Enhanced) Vehicles.
But, it's an exciting challenge and I'm sure it'll work out great.

Bob

Quick Reply: Want More Low End Power for 95 Suburban