Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Want More Low End Power for 95 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2013, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC10
Do you know what the specs are on the stock cam? I don't either, but I suspect there is not much difference at all. That complete cam kit will run you $881 plus shipping. Add a couple more mods and you will have a 95 suburban that might make 20 more lbs. ft. of torque. Why don't you tow with the 71 Ford, its sounds better suited for it.........
Not sure - but I would definitely check it out before I went that far. I'd bet that the lift in the cam I posted is a bit more than stock. I'm certainly hoping that if I did a few mods, and did them right, that I'd pick up more than 20 Ft. Lbs. of Torque.

My Ford Truck is a classy beast, but is only 2WD. In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan you ain't pulling nuthin' with 2WD in the Winter. This is why I'm psyched about this awesome K1500 Suburban. I'm sure it will do fine. I'd just like to have some options down the road.

If I had big $ (Ha Ha), I could see re-doing this whole beautiful Vehicle with a 1970 Vintage 350 Engine and Transmission (w/no Computers!). Just this sweet ride with an old school drive train. I'm probably not the first person to ever have that idea, but to me it would be nice!

Bob
Old December 26th, 2013, 8:03 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

If you had big $s, you just drop a Duramax in it and start pulling tree stumps.

Diesel's torque never ceases to amaze me. I have a 3.0L MB turbo diesel in my Sprinter RV and it weighs about four tons and it scoots from a dead stop. Now at hwy speeds where it take Hp to move you, not so much. But that's OK, didn't get it to race.
Old December 27th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corkwheats
In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan you ain't pulling nuthin' with 2WD in the Winter. This is why I'm psyched about this awesome K1500 Suburban.
True to a point Bob, but if you don't have the right rubber on the road, 4WD can let you down. Don't forget to take a good look at the "Load Rating" when selecting some Ice and Snows.

I used to live in an area, where it went from blazing hot to single digit temps almost overnight. I bought and mounted my Snow Tires on a spare set of inexpensive Steel Rims, had a Floor Jack and Electric Impact, and could get "winterized" in about 30 minutes. :biggrin:

Last edited by SWHouston; December 27th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old December 27th, 2013, 5:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SWHouston
True to a point Bob, but if you don't have the right rubber on the road, 4WD can let you down. Don't forget to take a good look at the "Load Rating" when selecting some Ice and Snows.

I used to live in an area, where it went from blazing hot to single digit temps almost overnight. I bought and mounted my Snow Tires on a spare set of inexpensive Steel Rims, had a Floor Jack and Electric Impact, and could get "winterized" in about 30 minutes. :biggrin:
Very important tip! This is another reason why I fell in love with this Suburban. It has a really nice matching set of good looking AT tires. Two are almost brand new. One is still "Okay" and only one is nearing the end of it's life. So, I'm getting 2 brand new ones, and I'll basically have new rubber all the way around. The wife is gonna be driving this some, and I will be draggin' around some hay - can't cut corners on tires up here in the Winter, no doubt.

Bob
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default 4WD Info/Tips "Burbology"

Ok, since we're into tips, here's a couple more...

Lot of people buy 4WD cause it's cool, and then forget it. Much of the "ease" of changing into 4LO is having fresh Fluid in the Transfer Case, AND changing it into 4LO about once a month. If you don't use it, it gets real sluggish, and when you really need it and it's that way, it can be a real PITA.

When you have a few minutes, lower and raise your Spare Tire a couple times. If the mechanism is contrary, give it a spray with a good light lube. That's another thing you want to work good when you need it. :smile:

You may not know, but when you put your Burb into 4WD (hi or lo), the two front Wheels "lock" together. That makes turning corners a little confusing at first, you may think a brake is dragging or like that, but, it's normal Chevy.:wink:

You probably have the Electronic Push Button 4WD controls. That includes one that says "Auto 4WD". You might need to use it a little BEFORE you think you need it. It can be very surprising when it engages on it's own (rather abrupt) so just cool it and deal with another normal Chevy issue.

Maybe a couple of the other guys can think of something else.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 27th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old December 29th, 2013, 4:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Ok, since we're into tips, here's a couple more...

Lot of people buy 4WD cause it's cool, and then forget it. Much of the "ease" of changing into 4LO is having fresh Fluid in the Transfer Case, AND changing it into 4LO about once a month. If you don't use it, it gets real sluggish, and when you really need it and it's that way, it can be a real PITA.

When you have a few minutes, lower and raise your Spare Tire a couple times. If the mechanism is contrary, give it a spray with a good light lube. That's another thing you want to work good when you need it. :smile:

You may not know, but when you put your Burb into 4WD (hi or lo), the two front Wheels "lock" together. That makes turning corners a little confusing at first, you may think a brake is dragging or like that, but, it's normal Chevy.:wink:

You probably have the Electronic Push Button 4WD controls. That includes one that says "Auto 4WD". You might need to use it a little BEFORE you think you need it. It can be very surprising when it engages on it's own (rather abrupt) so just cool it and deal with another normal Chevy issue.

Maybe a couple of the other guys can think of something else.
Thanks again. I did, in fact, drop that puppy into 4WD Lo yesterday and drove it a few miles. While in 4 Lo, is it not supposed to shift gears as you accelerate? I got up to about 20-25 MPH, and it didn't shift gears. Then, I thought that maybe it was supposed to be that way. It is obviously geared real low, and maybe that's normal, eh?

My 95 Burb has the shift for 4WD on the floor - not push button. From what I hear, this is a good thing. By the way, can I shift into 4WD while driving, or is it necessary that I be stopped and in Neutral/Park?

Also, my spare tire is located in the back, not underneath. I know about those suckers underneath, though.....the Van I drive for work is an '03 Chevy XPress, and one very cold Winter morning I had a flat - had to call a mechanic to come out with a torch to get the spare off!

Am loving the Suburban. Just picked it up Friday night. One small issue that I'll begin another thread about.

Thanks, Guys!
Bob
Old December 29th, 2013, 4:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default Burbology

Bob,
That "not shifting" issue is news to me !
It should shift up, with very detectable (firm) changes through all gears when in 4WD-Lo.

But yes, a very powerful/low gear ratio when in 4 lo !
I believe you have the NP-246 Transfer Case, and it has a 2.72 gear reduction.

In 3rd gear (direct drive) if you have a 3.73 Dif Gears, that would equate to a 10.14 ratio !
That'll climb most trees :biggrin:
Old December 29th, 2013, 5:28 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

The owners manual pretty well explains the 4WD options. I think mine says that 30 miles per hour in 4WD Lo is max.

I am not sure about whether it should shift up in 4WD low.
Old January 1st, 2014, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 95 with 189K. All I have done to it is aftermarket Dynomax exhaust, K&N in stock air cleaner, Denso Iridiums, 7mm Magnecor wires, and Blue Streak Ignition module, coil and cap.

I don't think you're going to gain much more with that many miles unless you rebuild for performance or drop in crate motor; stroked 383.

Probably better off running it stock and tuned till wheels fall off.
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 73shark
I think mine says that 30 miles per hour in 4WD Lo is max.
Yes, and I'd be conservative with that number. I admit I've exceeded 30 mph occasionally, but, could almost see the Fuel Gauge dropping :biggrin:

Additionally, one needs to keep in mind that the Fluid capacity is modest in the Case (<2qts), over speeding can cause rather high temps which that volume of Fluid would have difficulty dissipating. I think I remember reading that the AutoTrak ll has similar specs as does Transmission Fluid (200°)..

Last edited by SWHouston; January 1st, 2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Want More Low End Power for 95 Suburban