Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Washer Fluid

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2010, 1:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Washer Fluid

http://jalopnik.com/5060595/heated-w...massive-recall

so, why not just put a small radiator in the washer fluid resivour and pump coolant though it?

small radiators are like $40 and it's FREE heat... vs $150 for a system that causes your car to burst into flames.

http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Another recall of those firestarters: http://www.manufacturing.net/article.aspx?id=260742

GM failed to mention that they're the reason that Microheat went bankrupt. Seems like they failed to pay them after Microheat wouldn't pay for the design changes that GM wanted after they changed the specs.

I don't think you want 200* washer fluid hitting your W/S that may be at 0*. Plus if you use coolant, you'd have to wait 'til the coolant warmed up. By that time you could have scraped the ice off and be half way to work.

Last edited by 73shark; June 9th, 2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old June 9th, 2010, 7:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well...

well, the info says that device uses 150 degree... so i'm sure you could put a small radiator on it keeping it closer to 150...

I'd wager most tahoe's are in garages, and or can be remote started, they do warm up fast... you wouldn't have to wait for full 210 to use it, it would work any time, just when the engine IS warm it would be fully heated...

maybe I will do something like this on my jeep, use heated washer fluid to get the mud off the windshield...
Old June 9th, 2010, 6:35 PM
dh1
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
well, the info says that device uses 150 degree... so i'm sure you could put a small radiator on it keeping it closer to 150...

I'd wager most tahoe's are in garages, and or can be remote started, they do warm up fast... you wouldn't have to wait for full 210 to use it, it would work any time, just when the engine IS warm it would be fully heated...

maybe I will do something like this on my jeep, use heated washer fluid to get the mud off the windshield...
This feature is only useful when your car is cold. After your car is up to normal temp, your windshield defroster does a more than adequate job of heating your windshield.. This is the defroster is heated with the same source as your proposed radiator in the reservoir plan.

Also, if you heat your reservoir, the point of de-icing your windshield is missed. You still have 3 feet of hose between the reservoir and the windshield spray nozzle with cold fluid. You typically won't pump that much fluid out when you spray...so you are still going to get cold fluid.

Just my $.02.

I used to have a car that had the lower portion of the windshield heated with an element, much like the rear window defroster. This element was lined up with the wiper arm park position, so it kept the wiper ice-free.

Ford also used to make a heated windshield. It was laminated glass with a layer of copper in between. You could melt 1/8 inch of ice in like 30 seconds. I had that on my Sable back in the day, and it was one of the coolest features I have ever had on any car.

Also, microheat can join the long and distinguished list of auto suppliers that fell victim to GM and their BS purchasing department. I have dozens of former clients that fell victim to the same unethical purchasing practices.