Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Water leak in rear cargo area (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/water-leak-rear-cargo-area-71798/)

kellcim March 28th, 2015 12:53 PM

Water leak in rear cargo area

2 Attachment(s)
We have an '04 Tahoe, owned for 7 mo and has leaked of 7 mo. Dealer has resealed the back window, sealed around the roof rack. Had it in shop 7 times now. Nothing stops the water. It can be sitting, we can be driving and the water comes in.

Dealer is at a loss and so are we. I just want my cargo area back. Any thoughts on where the water might be getting in?!

Rednucleus March 28th, 2015 1:19 PM

Can you please describe in more detail what you are seeing ie - wet headliner, rug, top, bottom, left right.... thanks; leaks can be VERY frustrating - I have had two in our 93 Sub - found them both when dealer couldn't

kellcim March 28th, 2015 1:28 PM

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned passenger side cargo area in first post. My mistake.
Headliner never wet, the one pic(not sure why they are turned after upload) shows where the water appears to start coming into the cargo area then drips down the plastic paneling/molding to the carpeting. Some times it is just running in, other times a slow drip. Positioning of vehicle(flat/sloped) seems to make no difference. That window was taken out and resealed as was the driver side one as well. Dealer is trying anything and everything to fix it.
Didn't know if any other owners had a similar leak in the back.
My husband is about to tear it apart himself and look for it. Thought I would try and ask on here before he did tear it apart looking. We have just been relying on dealer to find it.
Thank you and sorry first post was so vague. Rookie mistake.

Rednucleus March 28th, 2015 2:16 PM

Trying to get oriented - is the second pic wet spot rear bottom corner by rear door? When our 93 had a rear leak, it was coming in around the tail light and slowly filled up the space between the quarter panels - it was holding several gals of water and would slosh out onto the rug under the spare tire. The entire rear rug would get soaked over time. Sealed the light and great since 95. I have seen others that vintage with the same leak - one gal had given up and her carpet was actually growing mushrooms lol!! I also had a leak water on front passenger side. To find it, hooked a hi volume blower (like you see used to dry water damaged rugs) from the outside to a side window and sealed with duct tape. Turned it on and poured soapy water over the problem area - lots of pretty bubbles showed the leak origin. That leak was body seam under quarter panel below windshield. Good luck!

73shark March 28th, 2015 8:35 PM

Sunroof?

in2pro March 29th, 2015 12:00 PM

Raise the lift gate and inspect the boot seal where the cables pass through the body... that is where water was coming in on my 07.....
See if this thread applies -> https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...ch-leak-64651/

blackLTZ March 14th, 2016 5:39 PM

i have an 07 tahoe with the same problem.has anyone tried to silicone around that boot to stop it form coming in?? its kind of a hack fix but the dealers are no help..thoughts

blackLTZ March 18th, 2016 4:14 PM

ok so the leak in the rear that you described is def the boot where cables/ electrical passes through. I had the same problem and took black rtv silicone and sealed all around it. You can check with a garden hose but i will guarantee thats where your leak is!!

in2pro March 18th, 2016 4:16 PM

Originally Posted by blackLTZ (Post 318339)
i have an 07 tahoe with the same problem.has anyone tried to silicone around that boot to stop it form coming in?? its kind of a hack fix but the dealers are no help..thoughts

With the boot fully seated correctly it should seal without issue unless the rubber has rotted. I used a silicone paste, (not the kind that hardens) to help aide in slipping the boot back in and helping in sealing. Mine has worked/sealed fine ever since.

Hrpchr March 19th, 2016 12:08 PM

Isn't there a cabin vent in the right rear pillar?

As I recall, and I am working from Suburban information only, I believe there is a louvered vent, behind the vertical trim panel that sits atop the larger applique where the rear heater blower is located. I thought that there is a rubber, or rubberized flap, covering the vent that allows it to swing outward to vent cabin air at the rear.

Possibly your vent flap has dislodged and arranged itself to scoop in drainage from outside in that area and funnel it inside the cabin. The location seems very right for that issue. Some trim panel removal tools ( those red plastic wonders - worth every penny you pay for them ) make removing the trim pieces quite easy and fast in order to check.

Good luck!

Sauerapple May 4th, 2017 7:14 AM

04 Tahoe LT Leak

Hopefully you have solved your leak by now. (New to forum) I am currently tracing a leak in an 04 Tahoe LT. Driver side. Pulled interior and headliner. Leak appears to be (mainly) originatinating from body seem (middle of cargo area window) between C and D pillar.

blackhawk309 July 28th, 2017 9:42 PM

I recently bought a '13 Suburban. Noticed large water stain in headliner on the passenger side, right in the rear corner. Got it cleaned off, but week later after a heavy rain, the headliner and carpet was wet.
Search and searched for any place it could be coming in. By accident I grab the roof rack...it was loose, just the rear passenger side mount. Tightened the small bolts and thought my leak was fixed. Wrong...next rain I had water dripping
down the inside panel all the way onto the carpet. Searched this forum and learned the bolts (screws) come with a sealer on them. I removed the bolts, applied permatex gasket sealer to the threads...Leak fixed.

Kitty00 September 29th, 2017 6:36 PM

I have a 2000 Tahoe with Cargo Doors NO sunroof.

When it rains the water pours in from the small round vent on the upper part of the inside in the driver side back near the back cargo doors . Just started doing this after Hurricane Irma. Can't figure out where the water is entering. I have Cargo Doors and No sunroof. It pours out of the vent and down onto the carpet in the back by the rear driver side door. Can't figure out where it is entering. My rubber seals are still in tack and soft. If it is coming out out of the vent where is it entering? Headliner is not wet. will take a photo when it stops raining. ARG!

73shark September 30th, 2017 11:34 AM

Welcome to the forum.

You might check around the Sirius/XM antenna on the roof to see if the gasket is still sealing on it.

Kitty00 September 30th, 2017 7:10 PM

Thanks for the idea, but I don't have A Sirius /XM antenna. I do have another antenna on the roof, but I sealed that up after the first leak I had and I thought that would solve the problem after Irma came through. But this leak is different. The headliner above the vent is not wet at all. I am at a loss. I will try running a hose on it and see if I can figure out where it is coming in.

Rednucleus October 1st, 2017 2:55 PM

Maybe a roof rack leak?

Kitty00 October 2nd, 2017 9:44 AM

Thanks for the roof rack idea, but my headliner was never wet. But I think I may have solved part of the problem. The Black "gills" in the back of the Tahoe, may have a leak through to the inside of the truck where that vent is. Apparently the water was pouring from the roof gutter into the black "gills" and coming out the vent in the back. I have plugged the hole with a piece of foam, and it has deflected it. There must be an opening under those "gills" that has opened up. into the inside of the vents!

I have tried to upload photos 3 times, They are not coming through. But I am not getting an error message, they are all under 5M????

I know my Tahoe's exterior is in rough shape for a 2000. It needs a paint job, but I can't afford it. I wish I could afford it because I only have about 72,000 miles on it and it runs wonderful. I always have my oil changed, and I keep up on all the other levels and repairs. It has been and still is a great Truck. Love my Tahoe.

I need to take it to my mechanic, and see if they can pop those "gills" and seal up the hole, or whatever it is. If not I will use liquid nails to seal it. Just afraid, that if I do, it might make the water come in somewhere else. Any suggestions are welcome!

Rednucleus October 2nd, 2017 4:20 PM

Before you do any sealing, run a hose on each grill to verify that's the actual source.

TrailBlazer08 February 10th, 2018 6:30 PM

08 Trailblazer Rear Cargo Wet

My rear cargo area has a mat covering the whole floor area. It is dry. But, underneath the mat, it is wet. No leaks from the hatch, no wet areas on the ceiling. Part of the floor also has a compartment for storage. It is just mildly most inside it. All I can assume is that the leak is coming from underneath maybe?? The smell I'm getting from the wetness, is the same smell I had in an 03 Trailblazer I had back in 08, so I'm assuming it was the same issue. I never checked for wetness in it. Anyone else had this issue or any ideas? Is there an easy way to pull the carpet up?

in2pro February 12th, 2018 11:57 AM

If you have the rear AC unit, you might want to make sure its draining properly

jshaynes February 27th, 2019 5:01 PM

I have a 2007 Suburban that everytime we fill the windshield wiper fluid it leaks out the back of the suburban. I can't find the water line in the rear to replace it. I cannot get in water to stay for the back windshield wiper!!

Jennifer Rae Fuchek March 5th, 2019 7:59 AM

Originally Posted by jshaynes (Post 373485)
I have a 2007 Suburban that everytime we fill the windshield wiper fluid it leaks out the back of the suburban. I can't find the water line in the rear to replace it. I cannot get in water to stay for the back windshield wiper!!

Windshield washer line is a very small diameter black hose. Easiest way to find is at the rear driver side corner look directly UP. It has a small plastic fitting to hold two splices of line together and they commonly come apart (I have a 2007 suburban and mine does too).
I'll try to upload a photo showing the line on mine. I wrote some areas of reference to try to help pinpoint what you're seeing.
Make sure that piece is connected (if you're losing the fluid under the rear driver side I'm fairly certain the connector came apart).
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...06cf802a55.jpg
Picture underneath rear driver side bumper showing window washer fluid line

Edit: make sure you dont pull the line and disconnect from somewhere else... mine was disconnected behind fuse relay under hood AND under rear bumper area when I got it.

97 tahoe February 6th, 2020 10:48 PM

Cargo area leak

Have a rear cargo leak in my Tahoe as well but don't know where it's coming from the headliner towards the back doors are soaked and water has leaked clean through the left rear speaker in the cargo area however the carpet is mainly soaked on the left side and all the way across at the rear doors in the cargo area but after a few days of rain most of the cargoes carpet area are wet I've only had the truck a few months bought it as is from a title loan it has a roof rack and looks like it have an after market roof brake light