Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What do you all think of this???

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2007, 8:34 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you all think of this???

I have debating on running a 1.5" wide strip of chrome body molding along the sides of the stock assist steps on my 2007 LTZ. Do you all think the 3M tape that comes on chrome body molding will hold to the plastic and do you think it will look ok? I figure if I do it and it doesn't look good I will just peel it off....I have been seriously considering the oval chrome assist tubes, but would prefer Denali assist steps but figure I would try the chrome molding first.
Old October 17th, 2007, 2:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: What do you all think of this???

I did this on my Yukon XL and I love the results! However, I think 1.5" is a little wide. I used a 3/4" piece and I thought it could have been a little wider, maybe 1". I would just be sure to really clean the surface thoroughly and my personal recommendation is to take off the steps before applying. They're real simple to take off! I took mine off so I could apply them inside (too cold outside to adhere properly) and also to make sure I got them on perfectly straight. I also used some blue painters tape every 6 inches or so to help keep the pressure on the strip overnight. Just my .02 cents, but these extra steps got them on perfectly! You should also do the rear section as well.
Old October 17th, 2007, 2:14 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks!!! Where did you get the chrome strips? Also, what do you mean by 'rear section'?

Thanks!
Old October 17th, 2007, 9:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also tried what you are talking about. I couldn't get the strip to stay on the side. The sharp turns and accidentally kicking it wer just to much of a pain. I have had no problems with the strip across the back though...

I got the 3/4 inch strip at Autozone. Can't remember the company name. If you are careful you can getone side strip and still have enough left for the rear. It takes two sets so you can do the other side though.You end up witha spare piece long enough for the rear should you have to redo it..

[IMG]local://upfiles/3763/5043E6855A624DC2BFEAC0E4D6904AAF.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

ORIGINAL: MCF34

Thanks!!! Where did you get the chrome strips? Also, what do you mean by 'rear section'?

Thanks!
If your auto parts store doesn't carry it, try an auto body paint shop.

Rear section: the step surface on the rear bumper cover
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:36 PM
CF Active Member

Tahoe07 --> What front mud flaps are those? Are they the ones that have a slight contour like the rears? If so, how do they fit with the running board? Where did you purchase them?

The dealership put a set on, which have the gold bow tie. Seeing as I took all the gold accents off, the flaps look lame. I replaced the rears with the same ones like you have, but the front didn't seem to line up so I returned them. Thoughts?
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

The factory molded flaps come in two configurations: one for trucks with factory boards and one for ones w/o boards or w/ aftermarket boards.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1622/5C3F09EDC2554C9B805BFEA1E1FCE04E.jpg[/IMG]

These are the factory molded flaps for trucks w/o factory boards.
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM
CF Junior Member

I got mine from here:

http://www.cowlesproducts.com/customchrome_entry.htm

I was able to contact someone via this website and found a local distributor where I could pick up the 30' pack ($40). This was enough to do the running boards on a Yukon XL and the rear and still have some left over. I had no problems with mine coming off at all. I truly believe taking the boardsoff to apply them in the optimal temperature and letting them dry overnight with the pressure from the tape helped their adhesion. This is also the best way to get them perfectly straight. Look at the picture of the red Tahoe in this thread to see what I mean about the "back piece".
Old October 18th, 2007, 4:16 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: tahoe07

I also tried what you are talking about. I couldn't get the strip to stay on the side. The sharp turns and accidentally kicking it wer just to much of a pain. I have had no problems with the strip across the back though...

I got the 3/4 inch strip at Autozone. Can't remember the company name. If you are careful you can getone side strip and still have enough left for the rear. It takes two sets so you can do the other side though.You end up witha spare piece long enough for the rear should you have to redo it..

[IMG]local://upfiles/3763/5043E6855A624DC2BFEAC0E4D6904AAF.jpg[/IMG]
Cool...so that is 3/4" in the back? I think for the sides 1" - 1-1/4" would be ideal. 3/4" may be too narrow (what did you think)? What did you use to cut the chrome stripping?
Old October 18th, 2007, 5:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not a true chrome. You can cut it with a utility knife. The Cowles stuff is the same thing I bought. I paid around $15 a piece for the two packs I got.

This company does not seem to make anything wider that the 3/4". If you find another company I would get the 1" for everything.

Quick Reply: What do you all think of this???