Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Where to mount HID ballast???

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2007, 12:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount HID ballast???

I followed the very good instructions previously posted for accomplishing what would be expected to be a simple undertaking to change a light bulb....well actually I was going to install HID Lights. The problem was, after taking out all the screws and push tabs I realized that I have no idea where to mount the ballast for the HID lights.

Where have you mounted the ballasts? I couldn't see any place that was suitable for both sides (right side a bit easier with the large void behind light, but left side has air filter). Pictures would be appreciated if available...if not, all good.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Where to mount HID ballast???

I mounted mine on the my air filter box. It has worked so far, and i havent had any problems. I had the same problem, and now that I think about it, I will probably go back and place mine somewhere else.

What kind of mount does you ballast have? I think I have seen some with a screw mount, but mine is a double sided sticker which I could simply mount to air filter box. I wouldnt imagine screwing into that would be to good for it.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:52 AM
CF Active Member

The ballast has tabs with screw holes, but also came with zip ties. I like the idea of double sided tape...might have to do that. My first thought was to use hose clamps and find somewhere to attach securely...someone must have done this?!?
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
CF Active Member

I zip tied mine to the back of the headlight unit, mine came with mounts, but I didn't want to drill on the new SUV. Zip ties have been holding for quiet a while now.
Old October 9th, 2007, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Old October 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
CF Active Member

Nice!!! That's where I was looking but wasn't sure on how they'd hold up. Obviously fine judging from your post.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
CF Active Member

I've got the light bulbs installed
I've got the light bulb connections connected to the ballast
I've got the factory harness connected to the wiring harness provided
I've got the wiring harness provided connected to the ballast

...and I've got nothing! No light, no action. I've tried the other ballast, different light bulb, other harness, etc. and nothing.

Am I so frustrated that I can't see what the problem is??? Is the '08 still H11???
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
CF Active Member

It sounds like youve got everything together, unless im not thinking of something...i would assume it would still be the H11, i dont see why they would change it
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:23 AM
CF Active Member

you'll never believe this...after banging my head against the wall for nearly 1 1/2 hours it ends up that the harness was wired incorrectly and the negative was going to the positive and the positive was going to the negative...so, with the assistance of jazejeff I popped the leads out, switched them around and bingo...we've got light!
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM
CF Junior Member

can u guys post pics of where else to mount them? im thinkin bout pickin up a kit in a few weeks.
has anyone experienced rattling from the ballasts hittin road bumps or anything?

flickering?
delay from startup?

i got a LS with auto headlights. so they need to turn on rite away. cant look like a sucker hid problems ya know!

Quick Reply: Where to mount HID ballast???