Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

While I've got the trannie out - Advice??

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2019, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While I've got the trannie out - Advice??

Hi All -

I've got a good old 2006 Z71 4x4 Suburban with 240,000 miles on it - and after a lot of good luck and miles, the transmission finally lost high gear.

I pulled the transmission and have gotten it to a good shop, but was wondering what advice everyone has for repairing/restoring as many failure points as I can, while I've got it apart.

It looks like the oil cooler cover plate is leaking oil, or maybe the rear main seal. Was thinking about replacing the rear main seal, the 02 sensors (never been replaced that I know of), maybe the oil pan gasket?? The starter has not given any trouble, but the flywheel flex plate teeth is sure more chewed up than I expected! We've put the last 140,000 miles on it - and as far as I know, everything is original on it. Would replacing the starter be overkill? Or a pretty good idea at this point?

The transfer case had been leaking oil into the 4x4 shift motor and fouling the ring sensor... I had been cleaning that ring sensor once a year or so, but plan on putting a seal kit in the transfer case, too, to hopefully stop that problem for good.

Thanks for any advice or comments,
Howard
Old September 9th, 2019, 3:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd certainly look at seals.