Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Whining sound with acceleration (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/whining-sound-acceleration-34798/)

belving6 July 29th, 2010 7:06 PM

Whining sound with acceleration

I have a 99 with 170k miles. I'm hearing this whining sound that starts around 40 mph. It's faint and only happens when on the accelerator. Goes away when letting off the gas and comes back when on the gas. Its constant while cruising. Sounds like it is coming from the front but not sure. After taking it to 3 mechanics, diagnosis was trany pump was going out and i needed new transmission. Took it to have the trany rebuilt and there was nothing wrong with trany. So far I have replaced differential fluids in front and rear, front differential gear and bearing, pitman arm, trany diagnosed, U joints, front and rear brakes. Unfortunately after lots of money and mechanics, I still have no idea what is causing the noise. Anyone ever experience this before? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

73shark July 29th, 2010 8:20 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Possibly differentials or wheel bearings.

LARIDERS July 29th, 2010 10:40 PM

could check the pullys to make sure they are all good. if you rev it up not moving is the noise still there?

JGRiopel852 November 19th, 2011 7:38 PM

I have the same issue, and have not found the a solution yet. I have check wear bearing and all that. Is it more of a whining or almost a whistle?

mercracing November 24th, 2011 6:38 PM

Are you sure it's from the front? I had a weird noise in mine, and it was the pinion bearing. Happened mostly when accelerating

truckfan November 26th, 2011 3:13 PM

is it possible to be a brake or power steering fluid leaking?i had this problem before,when step acc padel,it noise,they found there bubbles in fluid,they replace brake boost unit and it gone,do you note any difference on making turns or brake

truckfan November 26th, 2011 3:23 PM

everyone reply a over 1 year post:D

RedwoodGuy November 26th, 2011 7:02 PM

I see this is an old post, but there are new replies, so I'll take a chance here. I TOO have this whining sound on my new-to-me 2007 Sub LTZ.

Back in the old days, there was a common sound that was made by a bad power steering unit on any car. It was a whine which would increase in volume as you turned the wheel. Ok - got that sound in mind? That's how my car sounds as I accelerate off a stop. It's not louder than the exhaust note, but it is just below it. If I put the car in neutral and rev it, it makes the sound also.

My car has 73K miles. In all other respects it seems to run like a top.

JFMBlazer04 November 27th, 2013 10:43 AM

I had a similar noise problem on my 2004 Blazer. It turned out to be the fan clutch.

AZSCTACO November 27th, 2013 2:35 PM

Originally Posted by JFMBlazer04 (Post 262042)
I had a similar noise problem on my 2004 Blazer. It turned out to be the fan clutch.

Answered 2 years to the day :)

RedwoodGuy December 1st, 2013 9:21 AM

I now have 103,000 on my Sub and the noise is still there. Car is running fine.

2005TahoeSS May 2nd, 2015 11:02 AM

Whining sound with acceleration and deceleration.

I have a 2005 Tahoe 104K miles and it has a supercharger. I started hearing a low pitched whining sound when I accelerated. It would increase in volume. I brought it in to the mechanic who took the blower off the supercharger and sent it out to be rebuilt as the manufacturer said it was shot, he did some work on the rear end, as well as replaced the battery, belts, and a tensioner. (I don't have the receipt for the specifics as I am still paying him off.) Unrelated, I had him replace the shocks as they were the original. He did nothing with the front end.

$6K later and almost a month later, I pick up the Tahoe and the noise is still there.:@

1) The noise is from the front, and whether I am driving or in the passenger seat, the noise is the same.
2) I can not reproduce the noise revving in park, or revving in neutral. It only occurs while the Tahoe is in motion.
3) The noise has actually gotten worse. It is most noticeable when the car is in the 30-35 mph range. It can be heard over the radio and over the engine at that speed. Once at highway speed, it seems to blend in with the engine and tire sounds.
4) When decelerating, it makes a deep, winding down sound.
5) Yesterday, for the first time, It made a growly-screetch sound when I made a left turn onto a side street, and did the same when I backed out of a driveway shortly after that.
6) The noise started about a month after I had my front brakes repaired.

I'm a mom who needs her car and can't afford another high repair bill or to be borrowing cars for another month. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? I'm at my wit's end. The dealership I purchased it from is no longer in business, or I would just go back to them.

Any help, advice, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Savy Lynn Flygare November 12th, 2015 9:21 AM

Originally Posted by JGRiopel852 (Post 197950)
I have the same issue, and have not found the a solution yet. I have check wear bearing and all that. Is it more of a whining or almost a whistle?

Check to see if your power steering pump is bad..

magician November 12th, 2015 7:50 PM

My guess is it's somewhere in the rear differential and the sound is being transmitted to the front on the truck by the drive shaft. I just had my rear loose all of the clutches and started a whining noise at lower speeds. I had it rebuilt with a Yukon Gear center section, all new bearings and seals and I couldn't be happier. Have a mechanic that specializes in rear diff work test drive it, pretty sure your hearing a pinion bearing wearing out.

kimkello January 12th, 2016 12:36 PM

truck problems

My 2007 Classic Chevy is doing the same... Whining when I push on the gas then not as bad when I let off. It sounds almost like bad tires.. (But they are not). I am having someone look at it this week and need some insight on what to expect. This isn't good!>.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent Jones May 7th, 2017 12:23 AM

Ok, so I am going to open this thread back up as I just bought a 1997 C2500 LT with 454 and 4.11 locking rear diff and driving it home noticed the same whining sound under acceleration that is mentioned in this post. Here's the likely culprit; Carrier bearing. Same sound from my 1990 F350 and it was the carrier bearing. I have a pretty good tranny guy and he knew before even looking at the F350 what the problem was. And, after replacing, whining sound under acceleration went away. One clue for all of you to know that gives it away as the carrier bearing, it only whines under acceleration and then when you let off accelerator and/or slow to 5-10 MPH, sound goes away. On this Suburban I bought today I did notice it had a newer looking drive shaft. Was suspicious of that but during the test drive I didn't hear the whine. Wasn't till I got on the freeway going home I noticed this. I suspect if the vehicle was used to tow a lot, a bad carrier bearing would be a common issue. Hope this helps others.

realestateguy123 September 2nd, 2017 3:16 AM

I have a 1999 tahoe and am having the same issues as 2005TahoeSS stated. The exact same sound. I even made a video and posted to Youtube, but no comments. About 4 months ago I replaced all the brake components on the front. New calibers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and brake booster. I replaced in the last month the rear drums, shoes, axle seals, and bearings. Serviced the front and rear differentials, and replaced the front hub assemblies. I was hearing a squeaking sound, and thought it was coming from the front, so I took apart my front brakes to put some brake grease on the contact points. After doing this, the sound started. I found that one of my rear drums was ate up after fixing them, and thats when I put new drums, shoes, did the bearings, axle seals, and serviced the rear differential. Trying to find the cause of this noise is when I did the front differential, and hub assemblies. I also replaced the Universal joints on the driveshaft. It sounds like it is in the front, and I feel a vibration in the gas pedal and floorboard. I have considered the carrier bearings, and pinion bearing, but I found it odd the noise started after greasing the front brake contact points, but there is no uneven wear on the front pads or rotors or anything indicating it is brake related. I am at a loss for words, as the sound keeps getting worse. Here is a video I made, I hope it is allowed here. There are no ads or anything, as I'm just trying to find a solution to my dilemma.

AZ Z71 April 7th, 2018 4:43 PM

My 2004 Suburban has the same. I don't think the 350,000 miles is the cause. Would like to fix it though.

benjamin spanklin May 20th, 2018 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by realestateguy123 (Post 343420)
I have a 1999 tahoe and am having the same issues as 2005TahoeSS stated. The exact same sound. I even made a video and posted to Youtube, but no comments. About 4 months ago I replaced all the brake components on the front. New calibers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and brake booster. I replaced in the last month the rear drums, shoes, axle seals, and bearings. Serviced the front and rear differentials, and replaced the front hub assemblies. I was hearing a squeaking sound, and thought it was coming from the front, so I took apart my front brakes to put some brake grease on the contact points. After doing this, the sound started. I found that one of my rear drums was ate up after fixing them, and thats when I put new drums, shoes, did the bearings, axle seals, and serviced the rear differential. Trying to find the cause of this noise is when I did the front differential, and hub assemblies. I also replaced the Universal joints on the driveshaft. It sounds like it is in the front, and I feel a vibration in the gas pedal and floorboard. I have considered the carrier bearings, and pinion bearing, but I found it odd the noise started after greasing the front brake contact points, but there is no uneven wear on the front pads or rotors or anything indicating it is brake related. I am at a loss for words, as the sound keeps getting worse. Here is a video I made, I hope it is allowed here. There are no ads or anything, as I'm just trying to find a solution to my dilemma. https://youtu.be/T6XaoELnsmY

did you ever figure out what the issue was?? I'm having the same whinning noise as your video!! Thanks!

debjjdh June 12th, 2018 10:10 AM

I found this site because my Tahoe was making that same noise. Its an 07 with about 210,000 on it. I love this vehicle. I noticed the sound halfway to church and on my way home it got louder. When I got home it turns out it was the transcooler line. I didnt want to fry the transmission so I called the local shop that has worked on it for me since I got it. He towed it in for me and I am hoping it was the just the line and the plates in the clutch didnt seize. I absolutely love this vehicle. I have done normal oil changes and maintanence and recently had to do some ignition coils. I will probably have to do a few more. I blame ethanol for that and only use super now. I will let you know how I make it and if it is just the line.

Tiffany Doe July 8th, 2018 5:48 AM

Any answers?

I’ve been having the same sound with my vw Jetta gli. Thought rain made it more noticeable to hear. My car had been idling just a tiny bit higher when I start her and if I press on the gas and release her, is when the sound starts. No engine light and I do take proper care of the maintenance.

Robert Boos January 11th, 2019 6:12 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 152098)
Welcome to the forum.

Possibly differentials or wheel bearings.

Originally Posted by LARIDERS (Post 152111)
could check the pullys to make sure they are all good. if you rev it up not moving is the noise still there?

rear differential

goody221 February 27th, 2019 11:11 AM

I’m new here, how can I post. I have a 2015 LTZ whining at 63000 miles when I accelerate?

Doug D February 28th, 2019 5:22 AM

Does the sound seem to come from the rear differential? If it is only on acceleration, I'd suspect the pinion bearings.

Stacy Thomas April 30th, 2019 11:59 AM

Whistling noise

Did you find the solution to your problem I have an 03 Chevy Silverado doing the same thing I changed the carrier bearing and that wasn't it.

Jpw June 20th, 2019 9:32 PM

Had same issue on 03 avalanche

Originally Posted by belving6 (Post 152092)
I have a 99 with 170k miles. I'm hearing this whining sound that starts around 40 mph. It's faint and only happens when on the accelerator. Goes away when letting off the gas and comes back when on the gas. Its constant while cruising. Sounds like it is coming from the front but not sure. After taking it to 3 mechanics, diagnosis was trany pump was going out and i needed new transmission. Took it to have the trany rebuilt and there was nothing wrong with trany. So far I have replaced differential fluids in front and rear, front differential gear and bearing, pitman arm, trany diagnosed, U joints, front and rear brakes. Unfortunately after lots of money and mechanics, I still have no idea what is causing the noise. Anyone ever experience this before? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

This drove me crazy had the same issue thought transmission at first but fluid was clean and it shifted pretty good for the mileage. So I started checking pulleys. Bearing was grinding on alternator so I changed it but that didn’t fix it. Took a stethoscope after that listened to trans in gear and in park at idle and torqued. Nothing out of ordinary so checked pulleys noticed a small whine while idling on power steering pump but it didn’t match the sound. Checked the tensioner and heard the bearing grinding at idle so had my wife come out and hold it between 1500-2000 rpms where I noticed the sound the most while driving put the stethoscope on the tensioner and heard the same whining I was getting going down the road. Changed the tensioner and idler and belt and whine is gone. Never had a bad tensioner sound like this before they usually just make the belt squeal but that was my issue check pulleys first way less expensive than tearing into the transmission if that’s not the problem. Not saying it can’t be a transmission issue but luckily mine was an easy fix. Good luck hope this helps someone else searching for this noise.

Gotti Father June 26th, 2019 5:32 AM

00 Silverado 2500hd deceleration noise

I have a 00 Silverado 2500HD going down the freeway speed limit is 80 I drive 42 miles one way when I get to my exit I kick off cruise control but stay on the throttle untill I'm at about 65mph then I take my exit. I dont hit the brake I let the truck and engine slow me down as it's a long off ramp as soon as I took my foot of the gas it sounded like I had put it in reverse I pushed on the gas noise went away I get to work truck seems fine... ok I thought maybe it will make it another 42 miles home wrong made it 17 miles and the planataries seized no more gears so I take it to a transmission shop 4000.00 later trucks seems to be great however now I have a whine in first gear and only first because as soon as it shifts to 2nd the noise is gone. The 3rd day of having the truck back I take it to work drive that 42 miles and when I take the exit at 65mph let off the gas and the sound happens again!?! WTH is this sound everything is new and serviced but it really sounds like when it downshifts it just sits between gears untill I stop or press the throttle again. And the noise is random it does not happen at ever exit or even slowing down on the freeway any suggestion??

Trish Nabor August 11th, 2019 6:59 PM

Are you still having these issues because my vehicle is doing the same.. it governs out at 40 then after the whining the rpms sometimes return to normal. I’m at a loss I just had a new transmission put in 1 1/2 ago??!?

Jessica Warren August 26th, 2019 5:07 AM

Hey did you ever figure out what was wrong

Originally Posted by realestateguy123 (Post 343420)
I have a 1999 tahoe and am having the same issues as 2005TahoeSS stated. The exact same sound. I even made a video and posted to Youtube, but no comments. About 4 months ago I replaced all the brake components on the front. New calibers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and brake booster. I replaced in the last month the rear drums, shoes, axle seals, and bearings. Serviced the front and rear differentials, and replaced the front hub assemblies. I was hearing a squeaking sound, and thought it was coming from the front, so I took apart my front brakes to put some brake grease on the contact points. After doing this, the sound started. I found that one of my rear drums was ate up after fixing them, and thats when I put new drums, shoes, did the bearings, axle seals, and serviced the rear differential. Trying to find the cause of this noise is when I did the front differential, and hub assemblies. I also replaced the Universal joints on the driveshaft. It sounds like it is in the front, and I feel a vibration in the gas pedal and floorboard. I have considered the carrier bearings, and pinion bearing, but I found it odd the noise started after greasing the front brake contact points, but there is no uneven wear on the front pads or rotors or anything indicating it is brake related. I am at a loss for words, as the sound keeps getting worse. Here is a video I made, I hope it is allowed here. There are no ads or anything, as I'm just trying to find a solution to my dilemma. https://youtu.be/T6XaoELnsmY

Did you ever figure out what this was

Blatta1999 September 5th, 2019 7:33 AM

Having a similar issue with 2005 Tahoe 4x4

Originally Posted by Jessica Warren (Post 434138)
Did you ever figure out what this was

the humming sound comes on acceleration and seems to slow down when not on the gas. The video shows the sound and you can hear it change as I get on the gas. I haven’t noticed anything clunking or anything. I checked front wheels and they didn’t seem to show bad wheel bearing from test but may be.

Jessica Warren September 5th, 2019 7:12 PM

I have a 05 chevy tahoe been doing the same thing for almost a year now we rebuilt the rear end then thought it had something to do with the tranny but it went out and has been completely rebuilt and is not the issue either I read somewhere it could be power steering system but I dont understand how it would be that when like u said I hear it around 30 mph and it dies when my foot is off the gas and when I accelerate again it starts winding faster

Misty Tippetts Orr September 14th, 2019 10:35 PM

2015 LTZ whining

did you ever figure our what was causing the whining? I have a 2015 ltz about the same mileage doing the same thing and the dealership told me twice they don’t know what the problem is.

Originally Posted by goody221 (Post 373131)

I’m new here, how can I post. I have a 2015 LTZ whining at 63000 miles when I accelerate?

realestateguy123 September 16th, 2019 6:49 AM

Originally Posted by Misty Tippetts Orr (Post 435018)
did you ever figure our what was causing the whining? I have a 2015 ltz about the same mileage doing the same thing and the dealership told me twice they don’t know what the problem is.

No I never could figure it out. I ended up getting rid of it. I did find some information that the bolts on the flex plate start loosening, which can cause the sound. I never got the opportunity to test to see if that would fix it.

Noah Livingston September 25th, 2019 10:03 PM

Whine

whine more like someone playing one note on a recorder, but only when you are pressing on the gas. Start checking fuel pressure regulators, filters, in line or otherwise, and finally your pump itself. But also check things on the pump like wiring, is it getting a solid ground, is it getting the proper voltage. Certain things on these model year trucks make a certain kind of noise. Be careful of who you have fix it. Problem could be as simple as a faulty fuel cap or your tank isnt vented properly.

Stacy Thomas October 4th, 2019 8:20 PM

Originally Posted by stacy thomas (Post 427259)
did you find the solution to your problem i have an 03 chevy silverado doing the same thing i changed the carrier bearing and that wasn't it.

well it was my rear end that went out.. A seal blew out and gear oil leaked out everywhere. Bought a rebuild kit and had a friend fix it.

Esque Travis Wingate October 5th, 2019 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Savy Lynn Flygare (Post 311289)
Check to see if your power steering pump is bad..

Could be the speedometer cable

Steve Bollinger October 14th, 2019 7:16 AM

Originally Posted by Blatta1999 (Post 434610)
the humming sound comes on acceleration and seems to slow down when not on the gas. The video shows the sound and you can hear it change as I get on the gas. I haven’t noticed anything clunking or anything. I checked front wheels and they didn’t seem to show bad wheel bearing from test but may be.

https://youtu.be/DQDk0i0UGHs

Exactly what mine is doing. 08 Tahoe 2wd. Sound seems to be from the rear. Sound is active while accelerating and dies off when I let off. While at speed and I switch to idle, it stops completely. I've also reved the engine while at speed in idle, no noise. Sound started out faint in the beginning, and has gotten as loud as yours over the last few weeks. I've read the whole thread and the conversation went all over the place. This video is my sound exactly. Did you find a solution?

Paintguy68 November 23rd, 2019 9:06 PM

Has anyone figured out what this is?

Originally Posted by Blatta1999 (Post 434610)

https://youtu.be/DQDk0i0UGHs

Has anyone ever figured out this noise?

falconbrother November 27th, 2019 11:43 AM

When I had that I had my differential rebuilt and that fixed it. It's very common with GM trucks and SUVs. I had 240,000 when mine went. No disgrace in that. It cost me $1,400.00 to get it done.

Ander16 March 18th, 2020 12:52 PM

Sounds to me that you have a bad alternator

It sounds like bc a bad alternator and the house might be going through your speakers.

Originally Posted by belving6 (Post 152092)