Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

WHO'S PULLING BOATS

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WHO'S PULLING BOATS

That is a very good question and the answer is no.
GM rates each truck's maximum trailering weight based on a number of factors, there is an assumed risk that a customer takes when towing a trailer and a certain amount of common sense should be employed due to the fact that trailers are so divers in nature.

If you are pulling a large light weight trailer and the wind is blowing you around then common sense should kick-in and dictate that you wait for the wind to subside, just like you would if you were in a blinding snow storm or any other hazardous situation.

You brought up another good point as far as wheelbase goes, generally speaking the shorter the tow vehicles wheelbase the less stable the combination will be at highway speeds however that is not to say that a SWB SUV is dangerous to tow with you just need to make sure that you spend the time and money to attain the proper balance and tongue weights and that your trailer is in good condition and the tires are properly inflated.
I have used an old GMT400 2-door Tahoe to pull a 5,500 boat and not had any stability issues.
Old March 19th, 2008, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply/info.

I jackknifed a 30ft TT with my 2001 Tahoe onthe interstate. Tongue and trailer weight were within specs. Turned out I learned the hard way about proper trailer loading. Too much load weight (full 30 gallon water tank) behind the trailer axles really made the rig unstable.One big gust from atractor trailer andI couldn'tregain control.My new TT has the tank over the axles. With proper tongue/axle weights, this 29' TT tows very well and stable.

Now I have an 08 Tahoe, but have not towed with it yet. 99% of the time it's my daily driver so I didn't want to go with a bigger vehicle. If anything, I'll downsize the RV.

I also noticed how high the hitch is compared to my 01. I think I have enough drop in the w/d hitch for level towing.

Thanks again for the info. I seached all over and only found the guidance based on weight.

Old March 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM
CF Active Member

There is a formula out there based on wheelbase. I've seen it. Will look around for it. I tow a 97 28 foot camper withmy 2000 Tahoe and I really think loading it properly with all the anti-sway stuff I must have gotten a pretty good match despite the formula saying I was a foot short or so. It feels like I'm driving one solid rig with no swaying. A really strong crosswind could sure make me think otherwise I'm sure but I guess pay attention when you're about to do some serious traveling.

G...
Old March 20th, 2008, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Agreed. Unless you have a serious tow vehicle, proper balance, loading and weight distribution iscritical.

If you find the formula, I'd like to see it.

Thanks.