Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Would you? 2007 Burb LTZ 6.0 w/ 155K miles

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2016, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you? 2007 Burb LTZ 6.0 w/ 155K miles

So I'm looking for a used Suburban mainly for towing and room but will mostly drive in town. Been looking for a while and found one locally that has everything I'm looking for. Wondering your thoughts on it?

07 LTZ with 6.0L. 3 owners, (corporate, personal, personal) and clean carfax. Rims have rash marks, interior buttons have rub off.

$15,999

Should I be scared or is this a good deal? Trust dealer. I'd drive it at least another 100K.
Old June 9th, 2016, 1:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bsdmom
So I'm looking for a used Suburban mainly for towing and room but will mostly drive in town. Been looking for a while and found one locally that has everything I'm looking for. Wondering your thoughts on it?

07 LTZ with 6.0L. 3 owners, (corporate, personal, personal) and clean carfax. Rims have rash marks, interior buttons have rub off.

$15,999

Should I be scared or is this a good deal? Trust dealer. I'd drive it at least another 100K.

Seems expensive to me. I bought my 3LT for 23K with 69K on it and in nearly perfect condition and one owner. the 6 liter is overkill in my opinion. MY 2008 3lt has the 5.3 with 3:73 gears and it is amazingly powerful. even with it completely full I never have any power issues.
Old June 9th, 2016, 2:13 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2007 was the first year of that body style. I'd be looking for a 08 or 09, as they may offer a better platform
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Short answer, no.

Long answer - I'd probably take an '07 with the 6.0 over an '07, '08 or '09 with the 5.3. The 5.3 motors had the active fuel management, which, to me, is a dealbreaker, especially if you're looking at trucks with that kind of mileage.

Normally, mileage that high makes me a little squeamish. Expensive bits start wearing out around that mileage range - wheel bearings, cv joints, etc. That could potentially turn into a real money pit.

I've bought two used Suburbans. Both times it was a months-long process, and I scoured sites like Auto Trader and ran lots of saved searches. In the end, both trucks I bought had just under 100k miles. My half-ton '01 had lots of expensive repairs in the 150k-200k mileage range. My 3/4 ton Burb has been perfect and now has 150k. Well, almost perfect. I had to spend $20 on a purge valve solenoid that I replaced myself. I've had that truck three years, beat the hell out of it, and it has never gone to a shop for anything other than routine maintenance.
Old June 11th, 2016, 10:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do it. I think I paid slightly under that for my 07tahoe ltz with the 5.3 and 172k on it. I'm nearing 240k now, haven't had any issues. I've had some routine maintenance issues which can get expensive, but I knew that would happen going in. Things like ball joints don't last forever. I've done most of the work myself though, to save on the costs. Bonus in this case is your getting the 6.0. You can pick up replacements for the buttons on ebay, most can by popped off and on if careful. My rims have marks too, it happens. If it doesn't have the additional tranny cooler up front, you may want to look into adding it, for when you tow.