Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Xenon Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2006, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Bulbs

May be a simple question but I have seen some xenon bulbs on ebay and like the price. I am also looking at the full hid kit with ballasts and everything. What is the difference between replacement bulbs with xenon and the xenon kits that come with ballasts?
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Xenon Bulbs

The difference is like NIGHT and DAY !!!

The so called Xenon "bulbs" are not that at all, but instead a halogen bulb that has a blueish tint to make you think you have a Xenon bulb. They are no brighter (actually less bright) than your stock bulbs.

If you purchase a "True" Xenon conversion kit, you will now have a HID system. The kit is comprised of the Xenon bulb and the ballasts needed to power these beasts!!! A true Xenon bulb replacement will cost you over $100 for the bulb alone.

You can expect to pay $300 and up for a true HID kit. I actually paid $375 for my low beam kit which are 6000K. It makes a HUGE difference when you have a true HID conversion kit installed...No need to waste your time or money on a so called Xenon "wanna be" bulb!!
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Where did you buy your true HID conversion kit and who makes it? Did you install it or have a shop do it? If you did it...was it difficult?
Old August 19th, 2006, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Hey thkwolf...I bought my kits from the website below:

http://highintensityxenon.com/products/index.php

The low beam set cost me $375.00 (6000K).

As for installation...Did it myself and it wasn't really that hard. I'm pretty useless when it comes to anything mechanical too, so if I can do this myself...Anybody with the slightest bit of mechanical knowledge should be fine.
Old August 19th, 2006, 7:32 PM
CF Junior Member

I say check out www.hid-lights.com ... they have kits for about 225.
Old August 21st, 2006, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Beware of hid-lights.com!!!! Their customer service IS TERRIBLE!!! I ordered the wrong bulb type by accident and had to exchange it for a different one...took weeks of frustrated emails to get it done and was charged a restocking fee even though the new kit was more expensive. They do not have a customer service phone number, so all you can do is send emails and pray that they actually read them. I am having trouble getting the new kit installed now too.
Old August 21st, 2006, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Don't think I really need to say this...But will anyway:

"You get what you pay for......................"

I've seen a LOT of people bragging about the GREAT deals they got off of e'Bay and some other web sites on some of the other forums...To be followed up with why they wished they'd spent the few extra $'s and got the right kit and better service the first time!!

Caveat Emptor...Or in other words, "Let the buyer beware"