Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

XM Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2007, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio Question

I had an 03 Yukon with XM and it sounded super. I just picked up an 05 Z-71 with XM and NAV and the XM sounds really flat, nowhere near as good as in the Yukon.

I had the dealer check out the system and they found no issues with speakers, etc.

Is this my imagination? I recall hearing that XM degraded their signal, anybody know? It was about a year between me getting rid of the Yukon and buying the Z-71.

Thanks...
Old June 28th, 2007, 9:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: XM Radio Question

There's lots that can affect the end sound quality of XM -- or any radio signal for that matter. Assuming that XM doesn't have a "special" signal that only affects your Yukon, my suspects would be that the radio or speakers in the Z71 are of lower quality than the Yukon. Cosmetically, the radios in Tahoes and Yukons look the same and can likely be ruled outfor degrading the sound. If anybody here knows the technical details about the internal electronics of those radios and can confirm,feel free. Personally, I own a Tahoe and can't speak to the difference between speakers in Yukons and Tahoes, but I'd assume that for the extra money paid for the Yukons, the speakers would be upgraded, too. Your dealer may have checked your speakers and found no issues, but that doesn't mean you couldn't upgrade your speakers to get better sound. Speakers can be the difference between light and day, in terms of sound quality.
Old June 28th, 2007, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XM Radio Question

Thanks for the quick reply......both speaker systems appear to be identical (Bose) so I don't think that's the problem.