Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Is your XM expired?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 1:17 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is your XM expired?

ORIGINAL: jojokealoha

guess that's why it got bought out by SIRIUS. i think the change over is supposed to happen later this year.

Are you sure that you have your facts straight?
Old May 17th, 2007, 1:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a fact: the two existing satellite radio companies will become one entity.
some consider this a "merger" but if you can read between the lines you will see it's actually an "aquisition" by SIRIUS.
Old May 17th, 2007, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

guess that's why it got bought out by SIRIUS. i think the change over is supposed to happen later this year.

Are you sure that you have your facts straight?
XM has indeed been bought out by Sirius and will be merged later this year. I hope they keep the stations I like. I was an XM subscriber for about 2 yrs. My Tahoe didnt come equipped with it though (although I am getting it installed this weekend). I hope they keep my stations. There are about 7 I love.

As for someones comment about it being talk radio.... wow, not too sure about that one. I always had a station to choose from to listen to music from this list: http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/full-channel-listing.xmc

Merger news: http://www.xmradio.com/merger/news.xmc
Old May 17th, 2007, 2:31 PM
CF Addict

The XM and Sirius merger is so far from being a done deal that it isn't even funny, there is no "reading between lines".

Other then talk and press releases nothing has been acted on and neither companies board members nor the FCC has approved the transaction, they are no closer to an agreement then they were a year ago and from the looks of things they aren’t even trying.

It is my belief that the merger press release was nothing more than a stunt aimed at some free press and an artificial bump in both companies stocks.
What better way to gain those subscribers that have been sitting on the fence wondering which company to choose then to announce that both will become one?
No need to wait any longer; pick a company, any company and soon you’ll be enjoying the best of both companies programming for the same low price BS!

I’ll believe it when I see it and I’ll cover all wagers that it doesn’t go down by years end (if ever).
Old May 17th, 2007, 2:46 PM
CF Junior Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

It is my belief that the merger press release was nothing more than a stunt aimed at some free press and an artificial bump in both companies stocks.
What better way to gain those subscribers that have been sitting on the fence wondering which company to choose then to announce that both will become one?

now who's "reading between the lines"? at least my idea is based on market strategy basics and not on conspiracy theory.
Old May 17th, 2007, 5:06 PM
CF Addict

Hardly a "conspiracy theory", just analyzing the events as they have happened and looking at any possible motifs, some of the people I work with over at XM have their doubts about this merger as well.

Your idea is based off what?
I haven't read one thing that supports your bogus claim that Sirius has purchased XM, it's make believe plain and simple.

Old May 17th, 2007, 5:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I heard the FCC said it was very unlikely they would approve this. Originally the FCC wanted no less than 2 service providers and this would obviously violate that.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM
CF Junior Member

let me break this down for you braddah. there is a difference between "merger" and "acquisition". my original point was that all the talk about the two companies coming together is always referred to as a "merger" but looking closer at the transaction, you would see that it is actually an "acquisition". basically, it comes down to how the transaction is financed. and since your looking for "motifs" instead of looking for "motives" i'll spare you the details, but it's classified as "horizontal acquisition" because they share common stock.

i never claimed this ALREADY happened. i said it's "supposed to happen later this year". and if the FCC determines the transaction a move to monopolize, then it i guess it won't happen. either way, i havent made any bogus claim.

and in order to increase stock prices, the transaction should be the "merger" type. since it is not, then your analysis of "motifs" is pretty much out the window.

is there anyone with a business background that can back me up here?

ZX, i've read numerous posts you've written around here. you seem like a pretty intelligent cat. and from you, i've learned several things about my tahoe i would have never known. being the super member that you are, i actually look forward to your input on every discussion. but right now you're coming off a little strong so i'll concede this one and leave the forum to you.

i'm out. peace.
Old May 18th, 2007, 9:12 AM
CF Addict

Oh, Pardon me for disagreeing with your claim, I actually thought that you did say that Sirius bought out XM:

i agree. XM is not impressive at all. it's not for music listeners. more for talk radio / news addicts. guess that's why it got bought out by SIRIUS. i think the change over is supposed to happen later this year.
personally, i run my ipod nonstop.

I guess "it got bought out by SIRIUS" doesn't mean what I thought it did; my mistake. By all means keep schooling us all on this merger or acquisition or whatever the hell you want to call it; you definitely know what you’re talking about.
Old May 18th, 2007, 9:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think the merger will ever happen. It would be a monoply not matter how its worded and decrease competition. Competition is good for the market and with only 2 current satellite radio providers in this area is should be the minimum. If anything there should be more players. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Is your XM expired?