Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2000 Suburban Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Suburban Fuel Pump

Suburban stalled a couple of days ago. Thought I ran out of gas. Dumped three gallons in but still couldn't get it started. Noticed when I turned ignition on that I couldn't hear the fuel pump anymore. This is a 2500 with front and rear tanks. Dealers tell me that usually the front tank pump is the one that goes. The rear tank pump just moves fuel to the front tank, and normally they don't fail. Anyone else run onto this? What am I getting into if I try to drop the front tank myself?
Old August 30th, 2010, 1:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With only 3 gallons in it, it shouldnt be that bad to drop. But before you do that crawl under there and give the bottom of the tank a few taps with a rubber mallet then try and see if the pump comes on. If you do end up dropping the tank spray the bolts with PB blaster a few hours before you go to work on it.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban 2500 front tank

Thanks Cooter. Good tip. I already soaked the bolts on the rear tank but then decided that the problem is in the front tank. Any tips on dropping the front? Where are the lines connected? Do I need a special tool t disconnect the fuel lines?
Old August 31st, 2010, 7:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always put a jack under the tank with some wood to spread out the load then loosen the straps and move them out of the way. Open the fuel door and disconect the filler neck and vent tube. Use the jack to lower the tank a few inches and give you room to disconect the 2 fuel lines and ground strap. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool. The rest of the instructions should come with your new pump or you can create an account on autozone and look at the vehicle repair manual online.