Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2003 Suburban CD Player

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2012, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Suburban CD Player

The 6-disc player in our 2003 Suburban was never used much. About a year ago, it began making repeated sounds every time the engine was started--sounded like it was trying to eject a disc althought none were in it. Last week, it began a rasping sound (like a stripped plasic gear?) on starting the engine. In both cases, the sound stops in about a minute.

We don't use the CD player so I am not willing to have the whole unit replaced for $700 quoted by local dealer. Have looked at buying replacement aftermarket radio, but desire to keep the volume, etc. controls on the steering wheel working for the radio which requires all sorts of extra items and raises cost almost to same range.

My question: is there a way to disconnect the CD player only from power while leaving the radio working?
Old September 24th, 2012, 8:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 361 Likes on 342 Posts

You can have the dealer install a factory unit with a single CD palyer for much less money. I believe there are also aftermarket units that will allow you keep all your sounds and controls. Check out Ebay and Google it.
Old March 17th, 2013, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

just did it myself, are you still interested? I'll tell you what I did if you are
Old March 20th, 2013, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You can have the dealer install a factory unit with a single CD palyer for much less money. I believe there are also aftermarket units that will allow you keep all your sounds and controls. Check out Ebay and Google it.
Thank you. I did try both of these but the dealer advised that they no longer had a model which would fit the existing one.
Aftermarket ones I looked at had real problems (and cost) for making the new unit work from the steering wheel controls.

What I finally did was remove the unit and have a local repair shop simply remove the CD player from the unit. I then replaced it and the radio works but we don't have a CD player anymore. We still get the blinking icon saying the CD player wants to unload but we are fine with this and with doing without the player. We don't take long trips in this vehicle any more so really don't need it.
Old March 20th, 2013, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default CD Player

Originally Posted by elgodogs
just did it myself, are you still interested? I'll tell you what I did if you are
As you may see from the other response, I finally did take out the unit and have a local repairman physically remove the CD player. We really didn't need it any longer since we no longer take long trips.

Still, if you are willing, I would like to hear how you fixed it. Would help my overall knowledge and point way for future troubleshooting.
Old March 21st, 2013, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default CD Player

I removed cd unit in the radio just like the service man did for you. everything works as you described.