Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2004 Z71 Suburban - Snorkel Kits

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2021, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Z71 Suburban - Snorkel Kits

Hi, I am having difficulty finding any snorkel kits for my 2004 Suburban. There certainly does not seem to be any aftermarket kits available for this model (2004 Z71 Suburban (1500)). I would think any 2003/2004 Chevy 1500 Vortec V8 would be the same in regards to such a kit.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer or has anyone modified/customized/fabricated their own?

Thank you...
Old April 26th, 2021, 6:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by DGuzinsky
Hi, I am having difficulty finding any snorkel kits for my 2004 Suburban. There certainly does not seem to be any aftermarket kits available for this model (2004 Z71 Suburban (1500)). I would think any 2003/2004 Chevy 1500 Vortec V8 would be the same in regards to such a kit.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer or has anyone modified/customized/fabricated their own?

Thank you...
If you intend to take your rig through water deep enough for a snorkel, you'd have to have all your vent hoses from front to back raised up much higher, else you'll get water in them. And unless you have a diesel motor your ignition system would likely fail you.Your dipstick would need to have a good seal as well, else you'd likely get water in the motor.
Old April 27th, 2021, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
If you intend to take your rig through water deep enough for a snorkel, you'd have to have all your vent hoses from front to back raised up much higher, else you'll get water in them. And unless you have a diesel motor your ignition system would likely fail you.Your dipstick would need to have a good seal as well, else you'd likely get water in the motor.
Yes, those are all good points and need to be considered. I am used to USMIL fording kits in hummers and older jeeps from when I was in the Marines, so my expectation and desire was to find similar capabilities in an aftermarket kit for my Suburban, or any Chevy truck that I could modify to fit in my application. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate any aftermarket kits.
Old April 28th, 2021, 6:54 PM
CF Monarch

Yes, those are all good points and need to be considered. I am used to USMIL fording kits in hummers and older jeeps from when I was in the Marines, so my expectation and desire was to find similar capabilities in an aftermarket kit for my Suburban, or any Chevy truck that I could modify to fit in my application. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate any aftermarket kits.
I don't know of any snorkel kits for your vehicle. It's possible to fabricate one, but we are not working with a Hummer here. How deep is the water are you are planning to cross? My late 70's Jeep CJ-5 with the 258 Cubic Inch motor could do a three-foot crossing. That was plowing through making a wake to keep the Prestolite distributor from going underwater as it was mounted on the side of the motor. I had all vent lines mounted up high, at the top of the firewall. The dipstick was not sealed, but I found that a 1970 Chevy Nova dipstick sealed it up fine.
Old May 5th, 2021, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

All I can say in regards to fording depth is I should explain by using a "story." My used to take my previous 2003 Suburban "mudding" and in so doing would go through some pretty deep holes. Now this was a stock Z71, so it had no lift kit installed. I would go through holes where the drivers side would end up deep in the water and the passenger side would be elevated because I would use the side of the hole, obviously not go down the middle of the hole. Anyhow, it typically got deep enough that water would come into the driver's side, over the bottom of the window. That is about how deep I would get. I cant measure that because I dont have that vehicle any more. My current Suburban has a 7" lift on it. I still plan on using it for "mudding" but I am really setting it up for what I call "overlanding." I honestly dont expect to be fording deeper than 4 or 5 feet deep, if that.

I dont know if the explanation helps or not. I fear I am going to have to find some sort of fabricator, which is fine. The issue will be finding a fabricator who knows about fording kits and what needs to be done: air intake, electronics, oil and transmission dip sticks, etc.
Old May 5th, 2021, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

All I can say in regards to fording depth is I should explain by using a "story." My used to take my previous 2003 Suburban "mudding" and in so doing would go through some pretty deep holes. Now this was a stock Z71, so it had no lift kit installed. I would go through holes where the drivers side would end up deep in the water and the passenger side would be elevated because I would use the side of the hole, obviously not go down the middle of the hole. Anyhow, it typically got deep enough that water would come into the driver's side, over the bottom of the window. That is about how deep I would get. I cant measure that because I dont have that vehicle any more. My current Suburban has a 7" lift on it. I still plan on using it for "mudding" but I am really setting it up for what I call "overlanding." I honestly dont expect to be fording deeper than 4 or 5 feet deep, if that.

I dont know if the explanation helps or not. I fear I am going to have to find some sort of fabricator, which is fine. The issue will be finding a fabricator who knows about fording kits and what needs to be done: air intake, electronics, oil and transmission dip sticks, etc.
Old May 7th, 2021, 12:29 PM
CF Monarch

You'll need to keep and eye on your wheel bearing too. My Jeep had a solid Dana 30, with a single lip seal. Had an old Machinist turn the spindles down a bit so a double lipped seal could be installed. Worked great. The man was a real pro, but retired and had his own lathe and all manner of things in his backyard shop. Polished them down so well too. I haven't got the patience that he did. Wanted $50 bucks so I gave him $100 bucks because I know a real pro when I see one. Worth every penny I paid.