Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban transfer case compatibility

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2018, 5:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban transfer case compatibility

I have a 4 wheel 2008 Suburban that has over 325,000 miles on it. Replaced the engine after 265,000. Anyway, it sounds as if my transfer case is on it's last legs as it tends to whine when I have the switch on the dash in Auto. So, I am curious what years np 246 type transfer cases are compatible with the one in my Suburban. Or, if any are compatible at all. I would like to replace mine before it leaves me without 4 wheel drive. I already have a replacement front unit to install. But, with the miles that are on the transfer case, I feel I will need to replace it soon along with my transmission. Is there a range of years that will work?
Old March 1st, 2018, 5:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can’t tell from your posting if you think your existing transfer case is a NP 246 or if you want to swap in a NP246. I’m thinking your Suburban came with a MP (Magna Powertrain) transfer case. Let us know what you think.
Old March 1st, 2018, 5:36 AM
CF Active Member

Check my thread on GM MP transfer cases. That might help.
I’m thinking you have a MP 323 unless yours is a 3/4 ton with a 6 liter engine in which case it’s the NP324 which is the Heavy Duty version with a different number of splines.

Last edited by Suburban Dude; March 1st, 2018 at 5:43 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

The build sheet for my 08 Suburban shows it currently has a NP 246 /NVG 246 in it. It's getting real noisy and I just want to replace it with the same. Build sheet also shows a MP70/MP30 transmission. Haven't been on the underside of the Burb for a few months. So to be sure about the transmission I would have to crawl back under it. But, I think it's a MP30.
Originally Posted by Suburban Dude
I can’t tell from your posting if you think your existing transfer case is a NP 246 or if you want to swap in a NP246. I’m thinking your Suburban came with a MP (Magna Powertrain) transfer case. Let us know what you think.
Old March 9th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

I checked the glove box for the RPO codes and could only come up with the M30 code to verify that the transmission is a 4L60e and I have a rotary dial switch on the dashboard for the transfer case. Stopped by my local Chevy dealership and they confirmed that a RPO code wasn't a part of the sticker in the glovebox but gave me the NQH that designates the Suburban as having a 3023 or 3024 type transfer case and not a NVG246. So, now I have to figure out which of the two type transfer cases it was built with. Will be crawling back under it tonight to change the differential fluid and try to find the bar code label it came with.
Old October 27th, 2021, 2:08 PM
CF Active Member

Hello Yogi. Did you ever resolve your issue?
Old October 29th, 2021, 7:27 AM
CF Active Member

Yes, I was able to find out what type of transfer case that belongs in my Suburban. It is the Magna Power 3023 for gas powered engine behind a 4L60e. Input spline count of 27 and Output spline of 32. The other Magna power types are for the hybrid which is also a 3023 but with a 32 spline input shaft. The Suburbans with 3024 Magna Power transfer case are those with a 6L80e transmission and 6.0 liter engine. I bought a used transfer case to replace my well worn one. It's been a while since I made the post and the one I swapped out may be on it's last legs. Lot's of noise coming from my drive train and I can't tell just where it's coming from yet. Will be getting the wheels off the ground when it stops raining to inspect all drive train components. I put a lot of miles on my Suburban ( currently at 496,404 miles) and make the repairs as I cannot afford the upward spiraling prices of a new one.
Old October 30th, 2021, 7:40 PM
CF Active Member

Wow. That's a long hauler! I'm in for the long haul as well but only have 225,000 miles. Yeah, its a challenge. I have the 3024, the 6 liter and actually have a 6L90, all original. As for the noises, yes it hard to nail it down. The cheaper stuff is the front wheel bearings, the constant velocity shafts and the universal joint on the shaft between the transfer case and the front diff. The more expensive stuff of course is to have re rebuild the front diff.. By the way, you probably know this but for the others, the Magna Power transfer cases use Dexron 6.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find. S.D.
Old February 2nd, 2024, 8:50 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the tip on using Dexron 6 for the transfer case. Unfortunately, the one I used to replace the original took a crap this November. I just found another for $350 and no pinhole in the case. Do you know if using Amsoil lubricant meets OEM standards or better?