Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2008 Tahoe, Background noise when NAV is on?

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2012, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Tahoe, Background noise when NAV is on?

I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ. Great SUV. The only issue is the background noice from the speakers when the NAV is on. Sounds like a bass drummer in the distance. When the NAV is off, all is well. I was thinking of trading it on a new one but it only has 22K miles and is a great vehicle. Warranty ends 3/27. Looking at a GMPP extended warranty right now, that would cover any future (and continued) issue with the NAV. Cost around a grand. Any others with this issue?
Old February 13th, 2012, 9:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Derf,

Are you sure the noise is coming from the speakers? The Navigation unit does make a normal noise when spinning the disc and/or search the disc.

Disc spinning sound — This is a normal operational sound. This is caused by the map disc spinning behind the tilt screen. It is a normal operation after the remote keyless entry is used to unlock the vehicle or when the driver's door has been opened. This noise will also be heard during vehicle operation and up to three minutes after the vehicle has been turned off and driver's door has been opened and closed.

MAP Disc Accessing “ZIP” sound — This noise is caused by the CD Read Lens moving across the disc to access needed data for proper MAP display. To determine if the source of the noise is from accessing the MAP Disc, remove the MAP Disc to determine if the noise continues. With the addition of the Real Time NAV Traffic Feature, the MAP CD may be accessed to a greater extent thus resulting in additional MAP Drive noise.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 13th, 2012, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Tahoe, Background noise when NAV is on?

Thank you for the reply. I'm sure the noise is comng from the speakers. If I turn up the volume control the noise gets louder, even though the radio is not on. My dealership has no idea what's causing the problem. They replaced the NAV head unit once already. Problem goes on???
Old February 14th, 2012, 2:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Derf,

Thank you for your reply. I have researched your vehicle, however, there are no known navigation noise issues for 2008 Tahoe vehicles at this time.

The only other possibilities I can think of are wiring issues (crossed wire, wire not connected completely) or a defective speaker. Again, these are just suggestions, it is not meant to be a diagnosis. It can be difficult to diagnose problems like this over the internet. Since the unit was already replaced, additional inspections and troubleshooting will be required to find the source of the problem.

Louis
GM Customer Service