Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Brighter Headlights for these old eyes

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2022, 6:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Brighter Headlights for these old eyes

Wanted to pass along my headlight saga...hope it might help somebody else.

I do a lot of night driving, and as I'm getting older, the night vision ain't what it used to be. Finally reached the point I had to upgrade to something or stop driving at night (not an option for me)

HID conversions appear too intimidating both from cost & installation efforts. Wanted something simple like a bulb replacement. LED seemed like a possible solution, but lots of bad press had me skeptical.

Ran across the Auxito brands of bulbs & decided it was worth a shot. Nearly the same cost as my old bulbs... and according to the specs these LEDs will last longer than I will.

Was VERY impressed with the high beams. Actual driving was awesome. Lit up the road like headlights should. Beam pattern was as good as original. No stray light to the sides or up in the trees. No complaints from oncoming traffic. No dead spots. The Auxito's brightness was far superior & combined with the higher color temperature made the road & signage MUCH MUCH easier to see.

Hope to swap out the low beams as well.
Enclosed pictures show the high beams with both the old Sylvania's and the new Auxito's. Old smartphone doesn't do them justice. To my eyes, I best describe it as going from a 60W light bulb in your table lamp to 100W bulb.

Auxito LEDs

Original Sylvania

Old June 29th, 2022, 8:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Do these directly plug in to replace the original lamps or is there some wiring involved? My 93 Sub badly needs some new eyes!
Old June 29th, 2022, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

They plug in just like any replacement bulb. No modifications of any kind.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (June 30th, 2022)
Old June 30th, 2022, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Update:
Tried to install the Low Beam Auxito bulbs. Would not fit. My 04 Suburban has a bracket behind the bulb that doesn't leave enough clearance to install the Auxito bulb.
The product selector at https://auxito.com/ shows they are supposed to fit. Will have to do some digging to see if there is another bulb I could use.
The whole idea was to find a drop in replacement without having to "Modify" anything. Hate to start cutting away part of the bracket.

UPDATE 2: Issue was on drivers side headlamp assembly only; and only on 1 vehicle. Bulb fit without issue on the passenger side headlamp assembly. Bulb fit fine on drivers side headlamp assembly out of a different identical car. Will add more detail in post below.

Bracket behind low beam bulb interfered with installing Auxito LED bulb.

Part # of the bulb I had a little trouble installing. See later post for details

Last edited by Little Jimmy; July 11th, 2022 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Correct inaccurate information
Old July 1st, 2022, 9:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks for the update - have you contacted the manufacturer to discuss the problem?
Old July 11th, 2022, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, I explained the issue and heard back they would look into it. But that was the extent. Sorry for the slow reply, I've been out of commission.
Old July 11th, 2022, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default SUCCESS; The Auxito Hi & Lo Beams are AWESOME !!

The 9006 Auxito LED low beams worked just a good as their 9005 Hi beams !! Much brighter light with a higher color temp work wonders. Better night vision of anything I've ever driven.

I originally had an issue with installing the 9006 on the drivers side headlamp assembly. I got another assembly from a different identical car with plans to modify if possible. Auxito bulb fit right in with no issues! Turns out the adjustments on the headlight assembly determine how close the bracket is to the assembly. My original unit was adjusted such that it was maybe 1/2" closer than the second unit I obtained. Enough difference to interfere.
Rednucleus (July 12th, 2022)
Old July 11th, 2022, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Little Jimmy: Welcome to the forum. Glad you got the problem solved and brighter lites.
Little Jimmy (August 8th, 2022)
Old August 8th, 2022, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tried another brand of 9005 LED

Another update.... I ran across a set of "CariFex" 9005 LED bulbs at a garage sale for $10. Couldn't resist the urge to compare them. They did fit the 04 Suburban, although they had a different shape to them. They seemed to have a similar color as the Auxito LED bulbs I have, but the intensity was very low. Not much improvement over the standard Sylvania Halogen bulbs. Light also appeared to be a little "speckled".

The CariFex 9005 LED bulbs would not fit either the hi nor the low beam side of our 06 Yukon Denali. The Auxito bulbs fit into both hi & lo positions on the 06 Yukon.
Old August 8th, 2022, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks 73Shark, glad to be here. Looks like a lot of great info.

Quick Reply: Brighter Headlights for these old eyes