Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Intermittent No electrical on Startup 2003 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2016, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent No electrical on Startup 2003 Suburban

I have an odd issue going on, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I went out to my truck this morning, and turned the key. No power. No lights, no radio, no dash, no power locks. Everything was completely dead. The only thing showing any kind of life was my check engine light that was attempting to flash on and off but looks like it only had a short in it as it was erratic. Get out and check the battery and it showed 13 volts. Attached my battery pack to it anyway which was fully charged. Truck was still dead.

At some point wiggling the ignition or hitting the brake pedal, power was magically regained and the truck started with no problem. Ran all day. I attempted to replicate the problem by wiggling the ignition and tapping the brake pedal in hopes to figuring out what caused the issue to begin with, without success. My question is, is the ignition switch even capable of shutting down ALL power to the car? I am thinking its the issue but considering I even had to reset the clock on the radio and had no power door locks, I question a faulty ignition switch could do that.

Anyone?
Old May 12th, 2016, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

I have a similar problem with my 2003 Tahoe.
It only happens 1 or 2 times a month, but it drives my wife crazy & guess who catches heck.

You turn the key to start the engine and nothing happens.
I have all the normal equipment panel lights and radio works, but engine starter won't engage - you don't even get a solenoid click.

The temporary cure on mine is - with the key in the on position, turn steering wheel as hard as you can to one side and release and then the other way as hard as you can and release.
Usually that does it.
If that doesn't work you pound on the steering column.
One or both will usually do the trick.

I am speculating it is some safety device related to the operation of the ignition switch, but would really like to find out what it takes to fix it.
Have there ever been any recalls for this?
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds very similar except I lost ALL POWER, like my battery was dead or disconnected. Driving me crazy. I did have a remote start installed by a very reputable installer in my area last year, but its been fine since then. Pretty sure thats not causing it.
Old May 14th, 2016, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Well after checking relays, switches, I finally found the culprit. You may laugh because I should have checked it first. Postive power terminal wasn't getting a good connection. It was tight, but had a little corrosion on it. Just enough to keep it from charging very well and drop the voltage down to around 8-8.5 at the starter and power box. Cleaned it, all is well.
Old May 16th, 2016, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dspud2006
Well after checking relays, switches, I finally found the culprit. You may laugh because I should have checked it first. Postive power terminal wasn't getting a good connection. It was tight, but had a little corrosion on it. Just enough to keep it from charging very well and drop the voltage down to around 8-8.5 at the starter and power box. Cleaned it, all is well.
Wish that was my problem!
Ruled that type of issue out long ago.

I have been told it may have something to do with the contact pins in the ignition switch and that is why jarring the steering column suddenly makes it start working.

If anyone else comes up with ideas let me know.