Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

no start 2003 suburban

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2011, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face no start 2003 suburban

I have a 2003 suburban, 5.3, automatic. stalled out yeasterday. Went to restart ,cranked ok , started and ran for 30 secs then stalled. this is all it will do now.Have installed a pressure gauge and cked pressure the initial 2 or 3 secs. I get good pressure, the car will start, the pressure will drop and the car will die. I have tried to jump to the prime junction at the fuse block, pump wont run. have checked the power at the fp relay, ok, checked the ground at the relay, switched relays with known good one. have had poor groung problems before, have run external grounds . have done voltage drop on the pcm grounds no voltage shown on meter, grounds are good.the anti theft syst seems to be ok . the theft warning light comes on and goes right off. If anyone has any ideas or has a circuit wiring diagram it would be much appreciated.
Old December 27th, 2011, 4:10 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
If I read your post correctly you said you checked the fuel pressure and it is reading good? if so is it dropping to nothing once the engine shuts off? if so it sounds like the fuel pump is bad....
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

hey thanks for the info, will do a few more checks today. but your probably correct. pump gets hot and shuts down. thanks again
Old December 31st, 2011, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

I'll bet that it is not the fuel pump. GM has a disengaging fuel shut off security system that kills the fuel pump after a few seconds. Research on this site or ask more questions. DO NOT just replace pump yet as you will throw money away. My 99 Sub sat int front of house for 2 months while I searched out the answers. Though same as you with same symptoms but that was not it. Reply back if you want more info.
Borden
Old December 31st, 2011, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

I've been having the same problem with my 2003 Suburban on first start in the morning. Today when I went to start it I only got a clicking sound. I've been told it's the solenoid. Any thoughts?
Old December 31st, 2011, 6:21 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Could be the battery if all you get is the clicking. Do the dome lites go out when you go to the Start position?
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

was the fuel pump, powered up the prime at the fuse block and got under the truck with a rubber mallet and beat on the bottom of the tank. pump started to run ok, but noisy.eng started and ran ok now .thanks for the info.