Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Recent purchase of 2005 Suburban z71

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2016, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent purchase of 2005 Suburban z71

Recently bought a 2005 Suburban z71 with about 120k miles. Original owner claimed to have a mechanic come out to his house to take care of the truck, not sure I believe much of it since some of the regular basic maintenance seems to be neglected. Just wondering if there is anything that typically goes wrong or wears out that I should be expecting, or would help to have a replacement on hand. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jamesdanielsone@gmail.com; September 15th, 2016 at 7:23 AM.
Old September 16th, 2016, 9:59 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Change all fluids - axles, transfer case, transmission, oil.

If the fuel pump hasn't been replaced, it's probably near the end of it's life. Listen for a whine near the fuel tank with the ignition on and engine off.

Check the wheel bearings/hubs are properly greased, especially the fronts - they're one-piece units and expensive.

Powertrain on those trucks is pretty good - a well-maintained Burb of that vintage should be good for 250k+. My '01 is still running at 240k - powertrain is all original, the body is just rusting to death.