Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Squealing Noise Under The Hood

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2010, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Squealing Noise Under The Hood

So I have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe. I have had a squealing noise only when my A/C is running for a couple of months ...Maybe? I went to lunch today & my A/C was fine. I go to make a bank run & I turn on the A?C and it just keeps gettin warmer??? So my A/C is broken but no more squealing either. So is it the clutch on my air conditioner? Need Help don't have alot of cash to take it to somebody to try to guess several times for a few hundred and the say "Oh we finally figured it out". PLEASE HELP!!! Plus I'm female and I don't want to get taken advantage of.
Old June 24th, 2010, 9:37 PM
CF Active Member

it sounds like the a/c clutch. alot of times they can be fixed with out taking the whole system apart. A a/c shop has tools to just take the clutch off and replace or re-aline it.
Old July 20th, 2010, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have a '99 Chevy Tahoe and went through the same thing. My A/C worked fine through the squeeling sound though. Anyway, what I did to fix the squeel was I replaced the belt tensioner. After I did that the horrific sound went away. I don't know if this helps, but maybe it's a start!