Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2003 2.0 DOHC Blow By

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 2.0 DOHC Blow By

I'm a lifetime Ford owner, but this little tracker is a deal I couldn't refuse and my daughter LOVES it. Just purchased for a steal, going over it doing all the standard check out.

It seems to have low power and has MAD blow by. More than I think is normal. (Especially since my ford experience is - normal is 0 air pressure in the crankcase, in fact usually a slight vacuum.)

Compressions are 160 on all cylinders. Vacuum at idle is 22, swings as expected with throttle but always settles around 22 regardless of RPM. The engine idles well, overall I'd say it runs pretty good. It's just... really weak.

So, no power, excessive blow by yet great compressions? What should I be checking next?

There's also a slight rattling coming from the front of the motor, under the valve cover it seems. Since compressions are good, I wonder if this is a lifter bleed issue I've read about? Could that somehow be related to the blowby?

Or could the rattling be some issue with the timing chain?

All advice is welcome before I pop off the valve cover and go looking around.

This is your chance to woo a Ford fanatic with all your Chevy love. :-)