Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Blown up...HEADGASKET

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2011, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown up...HEADGASKET

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have a 02 tracker with I believe a blown head gasket. It is putting a cloud of smoke out from the tail pipe and loosing coolant. But know I am second guessing myself because I noticed coolant in the intake/throttle body area and am wondering if there might have just been a leak there. I will be doing a compression test later to hopefully confirm a bad head gasket.

I have searched and not found much info on this car especially with head gaskets. I have seen of lots of timing chain issues. This car has 180,000 miles with no issues so thinking I might want to do that while I am in there.

Also where can I find a manual for this engine? When I bolt it back together I would like to have one handy. Haynes does not offer one for the 2002 tracker and the 01 book they have says it stuff about the 1.8 liter engine, which this car has a 2.0 I though, so I doubt that book is any good to me. Looking for some basic starter info, I am no stranger to cars or maintenance but to this car I am. I have to just get it fixed, mothers car and the darn economy has left me no options but to fix this car…