Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Just bought a 2002 Tracker. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2015, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2002 Tracker. Need some help.

So, I just bought a 2002 Tracker with 112,000 miles for $1,900. The car runs good but isn't in great condition cosmetically. I just needed a Point A to Point B vehicle in Northern Wisconsin, so this, with 4WD, was perfect.

A few problems I have are:
1. The vehicle only has 1 key, and I've been to three places that can't duplicate it. Walmart and ACE Hardware didn't have the right mold, so I went to my local GM dealer. He said the keys were discontinued, so the only way I could get it copied was MAYBE by finding a third party shop (locksmith) that could do it. How is that even possible? I can't get duplicate my GM key at a GM dealer...?

2. The vehicle does not have a Key Fob. I went to the dealer with the intention of getting an extra key and a key fob for each set. The worker, who was not telling me good news, said that my vehicle might not be able to use a key fob because it was a merely an option for that make/model. I know 2002 is old relatively speaking, but how would a 2002 with automatic locks, windows, etc., not be remote-lock compatible?

3. The passenger-side seat belt is locked. At first, I was thinking/hoping it was just jammed and a quick fix. After reading, it sounds like it's probably been extended and is now unusable and must be replaced. A new costs more that one would expect. I saw there was a recall on the 2001 Chevy Tracker passenger-side seat belts in the 4-Door models, but I'm not sure if that applies to the 2002 4-Door models too.

Any help/info is appreciated.
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome. I am new myself to Tracker. Bought my 2002 last year and noted it was originally from Wisconsin. First thing I did was to have 2 keys made at a local True Value Hardware store= about $4. My key is a plain key and had no security feature on it. If yours is different, that's a problem in getting a dup, for sure.
After researching the web about my ZR-2, I learned it has key fob usage built in. I did not get any key fobs. So... you go to EBay and buy one. Not very expensive for what it does. Programing the fob is easy and the instructions can be found online. Picture of type shown. OR, install a Remote Start like I later did, and then you will have 2 more key fobs. RS is shown on left. I have 3 now.
Years ago I had a locked up belt on a Ford (Pulled out belt). Typically, the ratcheting mechanism may be stuck and the release pawl gets stubborn. Depending on how the mechanism is built, you may be able to service it (Open the cover and manually release the pawl). The wheel may just need a little lube or? It is a "look-see" thing unless someone has technical info here (which I do not).

JR
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 2002 Tracker. Need some help.-image002.jpg