Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

New, with Question

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2008, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, with Question

Hi. New to this forum, but have belonged to Chrysler and Jeep forums for a while. However, I have a daughter with a Tracker, 2003, 2.4L 2WD. I generally am able to help her out remotely, as she is a pretty handy kid, and we live 400 miles apart. I have run into a snag on this one though, and as simple as one would think it would be, I haven't been able to find the info to help.

She asked me if, when she came up to see me, we could change out her thermostat. Sounds simple, but I have no vehicle info. (I haven't asked her why she would want to do this yet, but she is usually pretty close on her problem diagnoses.) I couldn't find an online info source with descriptions, blow ups, pictures, or anything else to lead me in the right direction. The real problem is that I couldn't find one to buy readily at the Autozone website. (She told me that she couldn't find one either.) It lead me to believe that the Tracker, which I have never worked on, may possibly use a control unfamiliar to me.

Ultimately, if anyone here knows of some detailed resources available via the internet, a link to them would put a smile on my face. And, if they have used a different system for controlling coolant temperature, that would also be nice to know.

I come here to ask what I think is likely a stupid question instead of the parts stores or dealerships, because here, no one can see the chagrined grimace on my face when I get my simple answer! I have also found these forums to be some of the best assistance I've ever received.

By the way, she's coming on Nov. 22, and if possible, I'd like to be armed for battle when she gets here.

I look forward to participating in this forum. I'm a top 10 poster in the Chrysler forum because my wife owns a Sebring, and I truly need them because of it!!

Old November 14th, 2008, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: New, with Question

Looks like the 2003 models had either th 2.0 or the 2.5 engine so I'll assume she has a 2.5. I have a couple of pages for thermostat replacement so...send me your mailing address and I will send them off to you. The process seems pretty basic.
Old November 14th, 2008, 6:37 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement (2.5L Engine) [/align]
Removal Procedure
Caution:To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.
[ol]Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .

Remove the lower radiator pipe bolt(1).

Remove the thermostat cap bolts(1), cap(2) and the thermostat. [/ol]
Installation Procedure
[ol]Important:Align the thermostat air bleed valve(1) to the recession on the thermostat case(2).

Position the new thermostat and O-ring on the thermostat case.
Notice:Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Secure the thermostat housing cap(2) with two bolts(1).
Tighten
Tighten the thermostat housing bolts to 16N·m (12lbft).

Install the lower radiator pipe bolt.
Fill the radiator with an approved coolant.[/ol][/align]
Old November 16th, 2008, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. It looks pretty normal to me, so I wonder why Autozone didn't have the part listed? Oh well, I'll get it from somewhere else.

Thanks a bunch shawnvw!
A speedier and more accurate response I have never seen!

Thanks to you also Hamletexpress, however, I would not post my personal info on this or any other site, nor would I share it with someone I don't know. Please don't take offense at that. It's not you, it is what our culture has forced us to become. I think "Reserved" is maybe the most inoffensive way to put it.
And you're right, I just made a typo. It is a 2.5L.

Thank you both for you willingness to help.
Old November 17th, 2008, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

No offense taken, shawn posted just what I was going to mail you, I'm just not as computer savvy.
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

hey hamlet.......highlight text you want to copy....CTRL+C = copythen CTRL+V = paste
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: shawnvw

hey hamlet.......highlight text you want to copy....CTRL+C = copythen CTRL+V = paste
Thanks for the info Shawn, I'll give that a try next time as to not freak anyone out by trying to help.
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Well, Napa Auto Parts found one in a book, then had to order it from Portland Or. But I got it, installed it, cleared the codes, and it works perfectly. Went just as the diagrams said.

Again, thanks for all.

Oh, by the way, is the site where you got that description/information, and is it available to the public, or is it a member only site?
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thermostat

it IS AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE ACE THERE ARE 3 BOLTS ON THE HOUSING....THE THIRD IS ON THE BOTTOM and a real pain to get to and unscrew...AFTER THAT ITS ALL GRAVY...GOOD LUCK