TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

04 Trailblazer jerking and lurching

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Trailblazer jerking and lurching

lately my '04 TB has started jerking badly during gear changes. it's not a constant thing. i took it to the dealership and they found the same problem but they can't figure out why it's doing it. they say they would have to "dig into" the engine to find out what the problem is. no codes are being issued via the computer. basically it feels like the rear end is about to fall off when it happens. the engine is running fine and hasn't even sputtered once. i somehow doubt this is an engine problem. sounds more like the transmission, differential or something. anyone else have this problem or can shed some light on this? feels like they are about to take me for a ride...
Old May 14th, 2008, 1:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 04 Trailblazer jerking and lurching

id get a 2nd opinion- like try another dealer-
when its doing its lurching- shift into Neutral-- see if it still lurches- if it does its a problem in the rear end.
if it stops lurching- then its a tranny problem...
or you may hear of the engine is still lurching even in neutral
go over to trailvoy.com and post... maybe those trailblazer members have an idea.....
Old May 14th, 2008, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

it's not a constant thing. sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. most often it's when shifting gears and it's especially noticeable when going uphill. it's sporadic which makes it hard to figure out what's going on but i still feel it's not engine related.
Old May 14th, 2008, 2:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you had the codes run on it? If not, do so and see if anything comes up. Autozone can do this.

Check the transmission fluid and smell of it. If it smells like a sweaty armpit, its fine, if it smells like its burnt and has a strong odor, you have transmission problems.

Unscrew the plug on the side of the differential (if there are two, take the top one). Stick your finger in there and see if you come up with oil on your finger, if you do and its black with some nearly microscopicmetallic-looking flakes, its a rear-end problem. If you can reach the fluid, its low. Put the Owner's manual specified oil in it.
Old May 14th, 2008, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

the dealership checked for codes but nothing showed up. they checked the transmission fluid, etc. not sure about the differential. guess i'll have to check that one out.
Old May 14th, 2008, 3:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats simple enough. All you need is a 1/2" drive ratchet and extension.