TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

4WD Slipping out (I think)

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2020, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Slipping out (I think)

I have a Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 2008

When I select 4WD, 4Hi or 4Low from selecter switch it works (LED On and I hear it changing underneath). I then start to drive but few seconds later the steering goes all weird and un-drivable. No faults displayed on dash and I then put back to 2WD and works fine.

I checked the driveshaft from transfer case to front diff. It rotates freely when in park and no weird noises. I would like to see if the driveshaft actually rotates when 4WD selected but I don’t have a GoPro.

Ive read about a lot of issues with the selector switch but that part seems to work fine.

Old August 8th, 2020, 3:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBlazerLT2008
I have a Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 2008

When I select 4WD, 4Hi or 4Low from selecter switch it works (LED On and I hear it changing underneath). I then start to drive but few seconds later the steering goes all weird and un-drivable. No faults displayed on dash and I then put back to 2WD and works fine.

I checked the driveshaft from transfer case to front diff. It rotates freely when in park and no weird noises. I would like to see if the driveshaft actually rotates when 4WD selected but I don’t have a GoPro.

Ive read about a lot of issues with the selector switch but that part seems to work fine.
I have or had a 2000, 2003 with electric transfer. In my opinion (2008, i assume is the same, not sure) the actuator is not shifting totally. Earlier models as I have stated, remove the actuator, use a crescent wrench, and manually shift the transfer case, again, this is a suggestion based on my experience.
Old August 9th, 2020, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I believe the electric actuator is located on Transfer case. I see on some earlier models there was an actuator under battery.

Good idea removing and manually selecting. At least I would know if it’s the electric actuator.

Ive seen a lot of info saying if the actuator is the problem a service 4WD light comes on.
Old August 9th, 2020, 3:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBlazerLT2008
Thanks. I believe the electric actuator is located on Transfer case. I see on some earlier models there was an actuator under battery.

Good idea removing and manually selecting. At least I would know if it’s the electric actuator.

Ive seen a lot of info saying if the actuator is the problem a service 4WD light comes on.
Light may or may not come on if it thinks it is switching