TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

bad day in transmission land

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2006, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad day in transmission land

2002 Trailblazer 4WD, in-line 6

Pulled onto the interstate today and as it down-shifted, got horrible noise like gear grinding, overdrive quit and transmission no longer "locks". Got home OK but wondering if this sounds like a total new transmission or something simpler like a torque converter??? Shift was hesitant as I drove home, would wind up to about 3000 rpm with very light pedal before shifting to second. RPM definitely not locked to drive train.

Any opinions???

thanks Don

Old February 26th, 2006, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: bad day in transmission land

FORGOT TO SAY, THE GRINDING NOISE LASTED PERHAPS 30 SECONDS THEN VANISHED. SOUNDS LIKE A PART GOT CHEWED UP.
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:22 PM
CF Junior Member

I would have someone look at that if I were you. Who knows what could have gotten chewed up in there. Just my thought though.
Old February 28th, 2006, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

FINAL RESOLUTION: TRANSMISSION BUSTED INSIDE, CHEVY DEALER WANTED ALMOST $4K TO REPLACE IT...FOUND A LOCAL COMPETENT AND HONEST SHOP THAT DID A COMPLETE REBUILD FOR ABOUT $1.8K. BROKEN PARTS WERE CHEAPENED A FEW YEARS BACK, SO THE TRANSMISSION IS NOT AT ALL WHAT IT WAS A FEW YEARS AGO. I GOT 97,000 MILES BEFORE MAJOR BREAK.

GUESS I HAVE BOUGHT MY LAST AMERICAN CAR.

DON
Old August 20th, 2006, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

I had a bad transmission issue with my 2003 GMC Envoy and they had to replace the transmission at 50,000 miles. The clutches were shot and the internal transmission parts were faulty, therefore they replaced it witha brand new GM Certified transmission which is warrantied till 100,000 miles at no cost to me. Sometimes if you go to the local dealer and talk to them about the problem they may help you with the repair or suggest where you can go.
Old August 21st, 2006, 3:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, auto transmissions are hit and miss for all the manufacturers. Seems some you get to last 200k and then I have seen some in the dealership getting repaired or replaced before the first oil change. I really hope they can get them to last longer but who knows.
Old August 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: NCHEVYHEVN

Yea, auto transmissions are hit and miss for all the manufacturers. Seems some you get to last 200k and then I have seen some in the dealership getting repaired or replaced before the first oil change. I really hope they can get them to last longer but who knows.
I wonder if the origninal poster had the trans fluid checked along the way and changed?

I am about to do it on my wife's 2003 2WD tomorrow. 62K... still ruby red color and not brown and stinky... I was surprised. Manual says 50K... I was also pissed that the dealer did not do it on a service or even mention it every 5K or so when she took it in for oil changes. Air filter either... I figured they had been doing a bit more than just and oil change.
Old August 27th, 2006, 5:21 AM
CF Senior Member

If you take it to the dealer to change the trany fluid I would ask to see the filter too, as most of them only change the fluid and not the filter, (which in my opinion doesn't do a whole lot.)
In my experence dealerships want to make money and not truely help the coustomer.
Old February 27th, 2007, 5:06 AM
CF Beginner

PEOPLE PLEASE HAVE YOUR FLID CHANGED(FLUSHED)AT EVERY 15K MILES

AND HAVE THE DEALERSHIP CHECK THE PAN AT 30K AND AGAIN BEFORE THE WARRANTY EXPIRES

SOMETIMES IF YOU CANT SHOW PROOF OF MAINTENANCE, THE DEALERSHIP WONT EVEN AUTHORIZE REPAIRS OR WORK