TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

I can shift without brake and key won’t turn all the way off

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2018, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can shift without brake and key won’t turn all the way off

I got home from work put my ‘07 Trailblazer in Park then couldn’t turn my key all the way off. So I figured it wasn’t all the way in park. When I fiddled with the gear selector, I realized that I could shift all the way from park to 1st without the brake being depressed.
• Selecter changes gears and light on dash shows accordingly.
• button on gear selector still needs to be depressed between certain gears as usual.
• traction control button on gear selector still turn on/off on dash.
• I can turn the key from off to run and start it, but I cannot bring it all the way back to lock or remove the key.
• not sure if you’ve ever paid attention to this but, you know that little electronic sounding click that is made in the gear selector when the brake is depressed and you halfway depress the gear selector button (I’m assuming this is some type of electronic communication)? Well I don’t hear/feel that now.

I’m assuming it’s either mechanical in the key area or an electronic issue, and not an issue with the shifter cable. Does anyone know what it could be? Thanks!
Old December 1st, 2018, 2:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Will it move when you put it into drive or reverse? I had an 03 Trailblazer and the shift cable broke where it connects to the transmission. Yours might be broke or well on it's way.
Old December 1st, 2018, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. The car operates like normal. Drives fine. That’s why I don’t think it has anything to do with cable or bushing. My gut tells me that it has something to do with the wire that goes into the handle/button of the gear selector but I really don’t know much about cars.