TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Rubbing Sound in 05 Trailblazer Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2012, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing Sound in 05 Trailblazer Steering Column

I recently purchased an 05 Trailblazer LS, 4.2 L, 4WD with 50K miles. It's running great, but I noticed right away that there is a rub sound, like rubber on rubber at various points in the turn of the steering wheel. You can feel it more than hear it and it's not continuous, just feels like some rubber-on-rubber friction in the bottom of the column. Fluids are full and not leaking. I sprayed some silicone lubricant in the boot area where the steering column meets the floorboard, but that didn't correct it. I don't think it's anything serious, just an annoyance. Anyone experience this with their Trailblazer? If so, have you found a fix?

Last edited by kthays; May 15th, 2012 at 9:26 PM.
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> kthays,

Possibly the steering gear, just a suggestion. It is difficult to determine over the internet. Does it occur during slow turns (i.e. in a parking lot)?

You may consider having a certified technician take a look at the vehicle.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 18th, 2012, 9:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rubbing Sound in 05 Trailblazer Steering Column

I think this is the most common problem in Chevrolet/GMC cars and it is due to the clock spring. Clock spring is a special rotary electrical connector which allows the steering wheel to rotate in all direction without affecting the electrical accessories attach to it. It is located between the wheel and column. Also check out the bearing for any crack.