Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

radio- speakers or head unit?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio- speakers or head unit?

OK i just bought a traverse. its a 2012 1-LT and i like it so far. i just need to ask witch is the best mod to do first as i don't have a lot of cash what with down payment. the stereo in this are pretty basic not a lot of sound or quality so i am going to up date it so i don't here all that road noise. some one said to change our speakers and add a amp. thats the best right now low cost fix. would this be as cheep as a head unit or cheaper? he also said that the reason my speaker sound like crap is they are paper and i needed coaxial bass speaker someone with a clue please give me a heads up as i am not that smart in the radio's
Old May 4th, 2012, 1:52 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a good quality speaker can run alot of money depending on brand and type. same as a head unit. it all depends on the quality.

me personally, I prefer JL audio speakers. in my silverado I have JL's in the doors, front and rear, and 2 JL 12" subwoofers under the back seat in a custom enclosure to fit there perfectly with a 600w amp. up front i have a basic pioneer head unit with the aux port and built in Sirius radio.

i would suggest starting with the speakers.

while shopping for a headunit, ask yourself the primary function of what you will be doing..listening to cds..ipod? radio? satellite radio? do you want to watch movies in there? then check out somewhere like crutchfield.com and see what is available to meet your criteria. for me, i knew my wife wanted the ipod hookup and i love the sirius radio so i got away with a simple head unit.

Last edited by nj85z28; May 4th, 2012 at 1:56 PM.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A new head unit always makes factory speakers sound better. In my Tahoe I replaced the rear door speakers (left one was blown) and the head unit at the same time. The front door speakers (factory) sound way better then the did on original head unit. You will never get quality sound out of the factory unit regardless or the speakers so I would start with the radio which is the key component to any stereo system.
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

They are right when they say the factory speakers are cheap paper units. If you buy a good head unit and crank it up, the paper speakers won't last anyway. Start with the speakers. You can get a good pair with plastic cones for a decent price. If you like it loud and are really into your music then you should get the better quality speakers. I replaced my speakers and it made a big difference in the music quality with the factory head unit.