Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Breaking in a New Engine

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2010, 9:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Breaking in a New Engine

Just as a matter of interest to anyone who cares or for who it is applicable, I would like to pass on the following information when breaking in a new engine.

When I ordered my 2005 Chevy Uplander and had it built to order from the factory, I became quite taken with the topic of how to properly break in a new engine. I researched the topic extensively and found some varied opinion, along with some of the practical experience that I had from driving various brand new vehicle in my occupation.

After the research that I did, I finally decided to follow the opinion of the author of the article that is on the following link.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The article is extensive in its details about breaking in a new engine, but in summary, he says that to vary the RPM of the engine extensively in the first 300-500kms. The idea being to create a proper seal between the O rings on the cylinders and the cylinder walls, which helps prevent the contaminants getting into the engine oil.

So when I got my new van in 2005, I drove it directly off the dealer lot and I went outside of town to a rural side road, placed the vehicle in second gear, then drove the vehicle varying the RPM on the engine between 2000 and 4500 RPM. I did this for about 200 kms.

I continued to drive the vehicle emphatically changing the RPM until I had about 500 kms on it then I had the oil and filter changed on the engine. Then I changed the oil and filter again about 2000kms later. After that I drove the vehicle using the engine oil monitor to determine oil changes, never letting the monitor get below 15%.

Getting on average 8000 kms. between oil changes in Canada like weather conditions, the engine oil is only slightly discolored and never dark or black in color. The lighter the color of the oil before an oil change, the less contaminants in the oil

This is the first vehicle that I have ever owned that the oil is not black in color when doing an engine oil change.

There must be some truth to what the mechanic said in the article that I mentioned.

Lubrication is cheap compared to engine repairs regarding premature wear.

For those that get the opportunity to break in a new engine, it might be worth giving this aspect some thought and attention.
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The color of the oil really doesn't indicate "dirt" or it's cleaning ability.

The website you suggested said to "never use synthetic oil for breakin". Quite a few of the new cars come out of the factory with synthetic as factory fill.. are you saying they are wrong??

The factory fill was chosen by the manufacturer to run until the first oil change, my service manual doesn't say to short change it at 500KM... perhaps that factory fill has just the right additives to aid breakin and you dumped them at 500KM instead of running them for the full 8000KM.

If you want to learn a great deal about auto oil, lubes and filters you might want to pour yourself a coffee and log into www.bobistheoilguy.com

I'm not saying that you and your website are wrong but it's always good to follow the owners manual as I believe that the GM engineers know what's best for our Uplander's engine's best health and longevity.
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Papa Bear:

I knew I would stir up some different opinions with this topic, which is good.

As I said, there is varied opinion about breaking in an engine.

I realize color alone is not indicative of if oil has lost its properties to protect against wear and that a proper lab analysis of the used oil is needed to determine what is happening to the oil and the engine. Few of us have the time or resources to do an oil analysis after an oil change.

I am not claiming to be an expert on oil. But rather, I was just offering another view point about breaking in an engine, that the average owners manual can not get into the detail about when you are breaking in your new vehicle.

If it was such an important point that you should not do a first oil change on a new engine until 8000kms, then why is it not explicitly clear in the owners manual or that the dealership would make it very clear not to change oil any sooner?

Yes GMs engineers are "bright" people but they are not the only authority on the combustion engine. That fact is shown by the flaws and short falls of various engines that are designed by these "bright" people. In the last decade, GM has had a couple of engines that were far less than perfect. So I take the opinion of the designers and engineers for what it is worth.

As I started this thread, I certainly appreciate the feed back and your opinion.
I will check out the web site you named. Hope we talk further at some point.
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm Papa Bear over there as well, looking forward to chatting again.