Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

oil always seems to be low???

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil always seems to be low???

hello,

I'm new here. I have a question about my 05 uplander, now I have searched everywhere online to find answers to my problem, but i'm not having any luck? anyways... I just got my oil changed about a week ago and it's already running low? not a whole lot, but enough to be concerned, this isn't the first time it's done this either, before I put full synthetic in it and it was almost a qrt low with still having 1,700 miles to go till next oil change, so I took it to the shop they told me that they couldn't find any leaks or any signs of it burning oil or anything for that matter?? they told me that it was normal for it to burn a qrt every 2,000 miles, but then they said... that it might not have helped using full synthetic either, so I said ok! so they changed my oil and put in standard 5w30 high mileage Valvoline oil and now a week later it's almost a half a qrt low with 2,000 miles to go, till next oil change, this whole thing has got me upset! I can't figure out where all this oils going??? now I have been told that within a 6 yr. spand, that Chevy has some kind of chart, that shows the normal rate for the 3.5L engines or any Chevys, that burn oil composits, but I have never seen this chart? or anything for that matter? I hope I have explained this right and hopefully someone can help with this problem, because i'm out of ideas on what to do??

thanks

Last edited by 05uplander; May 30th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old May 30th, 2010, 9:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How long have you owned this vehicle? Since new ? How many miles are on it ? When did this oil consumption problem start ? How many miles do you run on an oil change ?
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

we've owned it umm... maybe 5 months or so? got it from JD Buyrider with 97,000 miles on it, bought it used with around 92,000 miles and I haven't really been able to drive it a full 3,000 miles yet, because i noticed it was doing this, so I have changed it about every 2,000 miles or less, now GM is telling me that this is normal for this to be happening because it has smaller piston rings or something like that? and that the oil today doesn't have alot of the things it use to in them, so thats why it's burning a half a qrt every 2,000 to 2,500 miles or a qrt every 3,000 miles or less and they said that's normal??? but then they said that if it was burning more then a qrt with in like? 1,700 miles or 2,000 miles, then theres something majorly wrong! but like I said before, it's not leaking anywhere, nor is it burning from the tailpipe either, so I have no idea where it's going, just that it might be burning it up into composites? GM said it could be do that too (burning into Composite) now it did burn up pretty quickly with full synthetic oil in it alot faster, so... then it was changed at 1,700 miles before its regalur oil change (3,000 miles)to standard oil 5w30 about a week ago and now it's about a little under half a qrt low from full. it runs perfect and rides perfect and the air works perfect, it doesn't seem to use any other fluids accept oil, thats it

thanks
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:25 PM
Professional Mechanic

oil only goes 2 places, leaks out, or burns it. my wife, bless her heart, drove ours 8000 miles without an oil change and it was still perfectly at the full mark on the dipstick. Are you checking the oil immediately after the oil change is performed? there is a good chance the monkeys doing your lube aren't adding the correct amount of oil. Synth oil usually doesn't burn as easy as conv. so that statement you made kinda has me wondering. is the inside of your tail pipe caked with black powder? a few things that can make it burn oil, rings are gone, valve guides are gone (easier of the two to fix) check your PCV valve. If your crank isn't getting proper ventilation that could cause it to burn due to increased pressure allowing oil to slide past the rings, oil depositing of that much oil that fast isn't likely, if it was you'd notice other issues such as knocking due to the fact that oil passages are clogged by deposits.Odds are its getting burned, likely at higher RPM so you dont notice it at an idle... its probably only doing it while engine is under a loud.