Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Winter time, wheels/remote starters?

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2009, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter time, wheels/remote starters?

I have a 07 Uplander,
I would like to get snow for this van, Now if I were to get 245 65 17 , Would I need to get a new pare of rims?

And what remote starter are you using for your car? Did you install your own starter?
Old October 13th, 2009, 8:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uplander1
I have a 07 Uplander,
I would like to get snow for this van, Now if I were to get 245 65 17 , Would I need to get a new pare of rims?

And what remote starter are you using for your car? Did you install your own starter?
What is wrong with the OEM size of 225/60-17 ? I think it's easier to keep the same size tires for winter and summer. I just bought a set of Winterforce winter tires for my '06. I also bought 4 used steel rims to go with these tires. I would recommend buying separate rims to prevent the chance of damage to the winter tires by having to R&R the rims every year. A good set of used steel rims should be sufficient. Make sure you get a set of 4 and not just 2 . I was "old school" having only ever bought just 2 snows for my vehicles in the past. that may have been sufficient in the past but with these newer technologies such as stability control , coupled with ABS and traction control, it is important that the tires match. I've seen vehicles try to make do with just 2 and have a terrible time on the road trying to control thir vehicle, and drive/stop in a safe manner. It is a little larger cost up front but it pays dividends "down the road" (pun intended).
On the remote starter, I highly recommend a dealer installed GM factory unit. I had one installed on my Uplander back in '07.I previously had bad experiences with aftermarket units and GM does not recommend aftermarket units be installed in their vehicles.( That is why they started putting them in themselves.) The factory units are specifically designed for your vehicle and generally not a "fits all" like many aftermarke models. You also have it installed by a experienced tech whereas many places that do these aftermarket installs don't train their employees properly, leading to issues at a later date. Many Uplanders have them already installed and most others already set up to accept the factory unit. A quick check of the RPO codes or a check of your VIN by the dealer's parts dept. can quickly confirm whether or not your van is setup for a factory unit. I have seen so many vehicles come into the shop over the past 5 years or so with various electrical issues which were caused by bad remote starter installations, including one of my own, to the point I recommend the factory units be installed whenever possible. (GM even went so far as to put warnings in their owners manuals warning customers of the dangers of installing aftermarket remote starter units in their vehicles.
With the complexity of today's auomotive electrical systems it is important to be careful at what is installed and who does the installation. My installation only took an hour and a half and was only a little bit more in price than other aftermarket remotes advertised in my area. That little difference in price is enough of a peace of mind to ensure trouble free operation when you need it the most.