Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

'99 Venture alternator problem???

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2007, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Venture alternator problem???

I have a 99 Chevy Venture LS, and in May is where the trouble began. I was on the highway, and the battery light came on, then all my power was going. I was able to get it to the next exit, off the highway, and then it died. I took it to the shop, and they put a refurbished alternator in it. It worked for about a week, then my battery light would come on for a few seconds, and then go back off, but the van would not die. I took it back to them, this time they put a brand new alternator in. After a couple weeks, I was on the highway again, and the battery light came on, the check engine light came on, and then it died. After about 15 minutes, it was like all the power was restored to the car, but the engine light was still on. We took it back in a third time, and they reassured me that it was again the alternator, they said the voltage regulator on the alternator was bad. They put another new alternator in the van. Two weeks go by, and again, I'm on the highway, the battery light comes on and so on. You know what happens next. I had it towed to the shop again, and they are going to look at it again today.

Has anyone had this problem?? They have told me the electrical system in this van is pretty much black and white, pretty simple, yet there is something still wrong. I find it hard to believe I have had three bad alternators in a row.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you!!
Sarah
Old July 17th, 2007, 8:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '99 Venture alternator problem???

I find it hard to believe I have had three bad alternators in a row.
With refurbished or rebuilt alternators it's not uncommon to have them die out in short time. There are different quality of refurbish processes and parts.

Have they checked for a problem with the battery ... like a shorted cell ??
A faulty battery can damage an alternator's voltage regulator.