Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

ENGINE HUNTING PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2008, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE HUNTING PROBLEM

My 2000 venture has several problems however the most recent being the vehicle will intermittently not start. She will turn over; just not fire due to the fuel pump not cycling when the key is turned on. As stated this is the intermittent problem, when the newly installed pump, as with the old one - changed due to the fuel gauge (sending unit) not working and possibly the problem, the engine will run however upon reaching higher RPM will hunt! Not sure what rpm this occurs however the engine will not die, just starve and then pick back up. TS thus far; changed the fuel pump with sending unit, fuel and air filters.

My questions are; what would cause the hunting and what else controls the fuel gauge besides the sending unit?

R/s
Kurt
Old May 10th, 2008, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ENGINE HUNTING PROBLEM

The fuel guage has a stepper motor in the back of it. If your guage is acting whacky...that's more than likely the problem..and it's VERY common.
As for the hunting...not sure. Really need to log fuel pressure to see exactly what it's doing.
Old May 11th, 2008, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ENGINE HUNTING PROBLEM

The fuel gauge problem is common as with the power door, locks and windows being inoperative. I checked my service manual for “stepper motor” and found that if I were a GM mechanic having a computer the code may tell me there is either a problem with the map or fuel pump circuit card / control module. My gauge apparatus is work with my fluke meter. I ran the van last night and the pickup is much better with the new fuel pump. The hunting seems to have gone, after checking all vacuum lines within the engine compartment and evap? The van has taken us to AK and back east with over 145k so it been a good family vehicle just tired!
Thanks for the reply I will continue to ts and post my finding.

R/s
Kurt